Saturday, September 01, 2007

Hooky!!!

I didn't even want to reach my hand out to touch the hands that created songs that I grew up with. Partly cause I expect the earth to open up and swallow me there and then. Perhaps it was because I was thinking if I should touch him and no magic appears, I would be sorely disappointed and all the magic in the world will cease to wonder.

It's amazing that somebody from Joy Division/New Order was actually behind the helms of the DJ console. And when he dropped tracks - abruptly, with nary a care about mixing and to much comic effect at times, by New Order and Joy Division, I mean, hell ya! He made these tracks.

I
Have
Not

jump
|cried|
laughed
|shouted|
fist-pumped

sofuckinggoddamnedmuchinanybody'sdjset.........ever!

Ok, I exaggerated on the "cried" part. hahahaha......So much merriment by so many people who are so into their music. It was so touching....He incongruously mixed Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK with The Clash - London Calling and The Smiths - How Soon Is Now? but to the heaving crowd, man....it did speak of an era of British music when music was music and the word "industry" was not often tagged behind it. When he played Joy Division's Transmission, everybody in front was just gasping for more. Sure, it was like PoPTart but it's Peter Hook. I was just hanging onto the words....

And we would go on as though nothing was wrong. And hide from these days we remained all alone. Staying in the same place, just staying out the time. Touching from a distance, further all the time.


Sigh.......

I would like a place I could call my own
Have a conversation on the telephone
Wake up every day that would be a start
I would not complain of my wounded heart

I was upset you see
Almost all the time
You used to be a stranger
Now you are mine

I would like a place I could call my own
Have a conversation on the telephone
Wake up every day that would be a start
I would not complain of my wounded heart

I was a short fuse
Burning all the time
You were a complete stranger
Now you are mine

I would like a place I could call my own
Have a conversation on the telephone
Wake up every day that would be a start
I would not complain about my wounded heart

Just wait till tomorrow
I guess that's what they all say
Just before they fall apart

Regret was my first experience with New Order. Secondary school, I remember returning from training sessions at the former SPE campus at Bukit Timah, listening to this song on the radio (Perfect 10) while sitting in bus number 66. I would never have imagined....that 14 years later I would still be so enraptured by this track...

I am so in search of the last track he played which was a chilled out cover version of Temptation. Love the song!!!! It could be from Moby's Hotel album. Can't wait to check it out.....

Man....I'm still buzzing. Peter Hook! Hahaha....he had to tuned his bass guitar higher so that he can hear himself above the din created by the rest of Joy Division and thus created a brand new sound entirely owned by New Order.

2 comments:

Princess Poofie said...

yea, he was fun and funny! frigginggoodgoodgood night!

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

super glad we was there.....