Thursday, June 14, 2007

Temptation

This song could be about everything and nothing at the same time. Well, for some it's about something and at times, anything.

That is the beauty of Temptation by New Order. Which alot of people my generation never really listened to until, say, they heard Diane singing the lyrics in the movie Trianspotting.

The lyrics talks about heaven and hope, finding one's soul...like some form of redemption.
Then there is the bit about the colour of eyes; green, blue and grey - envy, sadness and ambiguity?
What about the parts on thoughts hitting people down below, people with no place to go? And about having never met anyone quite like "you" before. Whoever you (the listener?) are.
Up, down, turn around? So what got him so high that he fears hitting the ground?

Wait a minute.....why am I talking about getting high? As in drugs? So Heaven means something else besides the Pearly Gates? A gateway? As in a "gateway drug"? Marijuana? Heaven means cocaine in common street slang by the way. Heaven's dust... And that these give him hope?

Why else would the song start that way?

Heaven, a gateway, a hope
Just like a feeling inside, it's no joke
And though it hurts me to treat you this way
Betrayed by words, I'd never heard, too hard to say

Up, down, turn around
Please don't let me hit the ground
Tonight I think I'll walk alone
I'll find my soul as I go home.


I especially like the line "Betrayed by words I'd never heard, too hard to say." It is not easy to write lyrics that remain relevant for more than 20 years.

Each way I turn, I know I'll always try
To break this circle that's been placed around me
From time to time, I find I've lost some need
That was urgent to myself, I do believe

So now it is for me to think about how not to let myself hit the ground.

So you see, this song works on so many levels it's pretty fantastic.






No comments: