Monday, April 10, 2006

Fox in the snow, girl in the snow, boy on a bike

Belle and Sebastian released their first album on 6th of June 1996. That day was my mum's birthday. Not that it matters much. Not that it matters anyway. The title was Tigermilk. But that was not the album from which I started listening to them. How I started listening to this multi-member band from Scotland (Glasgow to be exact) was such a wonderful memory that I have decided to share it. With you. You lucky thing, you!

I started on Belle and Sebastian (B&S) in 1997, sometime near my A levels. Or maybe after. It was from the second album, If You're Feeling Sinister, that got me off to this quaint little band that obviously was from the East of the Atlantic. The album was released late 1996. But again, I never heard of them until around the time of my A levels. I remember so well because Belle and Sebastian and Bjork were the only two CDs I was listening to at that time, when I was preparing my A levels. If You're Feeling Sinister and Homogenic. One of the track in Homogenic called Unravel was by Guy Sigsworth who eventually collaborated with a lass named Imogen Heap to form Frou Frou. Again, Frou Frou is another story.

I remember before HMV, there was Tower Records. And before that there was Dada Records and Supreme. I cannot remember if there was Sembawang. Tower Records was where I discovered Portishead. It's the Tower Records formerly at Pacific Plaza. What's taken over the space now, I cannot remember.

So anyway, HMV was where I first heard of B&S. There was a period when I was quite busy preparing for my A levels yet I am the sort who can stay still for long and so when HMV was opened in 1997, I resisted going there (I so didn't want to risk liking HMV and forsaking Tower Records) but finally found myself going there a couple of times in a week being fascinated by the gargantuan floor area and the number of listening posts.

So there was this memorable afternoon, not exactly feeling perky, when I walked into HMV. At that time, there were so many issues that were unresolved leading up to my A levels that eventually led to break ups and fuck ups that will remain as my past. I walked into HMV in the midst of a song. ".....Girl in the snow, where will you go to find someone that will do, to tell someone all the truth before it kills you...."

I remember it was an IMPORT disc and so it was like SGD30 odd. But I bought the album solely on the strength on that one song and discovered an entire album of gems. Roughhewn but heartfelt. Lilting but poignant.



Fox In The Snow
Fox in the snow, where do you go

To find something you can eat?

Cause the word out on the street is you are starving

Don't let yourself grow hungry now

Don't let yourself grow cold

Fox in the snow
Girl in the snow, where will you go
To find someone that will do?

To tell someone all the truth before it kills you

They listen to your crazy laugh

Before you hang a right
And disappear from sight

What do they know anyway?

You'll read it in a book

What do they know anyway?

You'll read it in a book tonight

Boy on the bike, what are you like

As you cycle round the town?

You're going up, you're going down

You're going nowhere It's not as if they're paying you
It's not as if it's fun
At least not anymore
When your legs are black and blue
It's time to take a break
When your legs are black and blue
It's time to take a holiday
Kid in the snow, way to go
It only happens once a year

It only happens once a lifetime
Make the most of it

Second just to being born

Second to dying to

What else could you do?
Belle And Sebastian

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

a great love for great moosik.

awesome =)

etherdrops