Saturday, September 08, 2007

It's The Way It Shatters That Matters

Thank goodness for Candy Empire. How else can I get my Violet Crumble?

This was my one of three sweets that I constantly wanted when I was still young like in primary school. The honeycomb centre that cracks in a way that only a Violet Crumble can. It was imported from Australia and hence rather expensive. Not many places sold it. I remember my aunt buying a bar from Cold Storage and placing it in the fridge at my grandma's. The though of an unopened bar of Violet Crumble in the fridge almost drove me mad.

Another favourite was Arctic Roll from Walls.

My eldest uncle had an ice-cream-man friend. The ice-cream man sold his ice-creams from a motor-powered tricycle and had an oil lamp and a hand-held bell. Every kid in the neighbourhood will know when he is around because of the bell. So on certain evenings, he might buy ice cream for us. But it was always the few flavours. Coco Bobo - red bean, Paddle Pop - assorted, which I hated though the melody of the advertisement was really catchy, ~ Paddle Pop, Paddle Pop!~ Super Duper Yummy! ~ , Rosicle - bandung flavoured, super nice but cannot have too often and Lion's Cup - vanilla flavoured ice-cream in a cup. I don't really like vanilla because it seemed like ice-cream that is unflavoured. I did not have a Magnum or a Cornetto till I was in my late teens actually. Wait, I don't think I have ever had a Magnum. I can remember tasting the Arctic Roll once in my life. It was somebody's birthday and an impromptu birthday cake had to be sourced so a slice of Arctic Roll was used. I think my second taste of Arctic Roll will be special. Yet I dare not anticipate it too much else the magic will be lost when it doesn't live up to my imagined expectations.

There was one childhood dessert that I really like and had it more than a few times. Sara Lee Pound Cake.

I didn't really like the chocolate or Sultana Pound. The All Purpose was the best. I would pinch it when it is left in the fridge leaving behind obvious holes and later get a scolding. The advertisement song was memorable too. 谢谢你 Sara Lee.....

1 comment:

Princess Poofie said...

yesyesyes..violet crumble is da bomb.
cadbury crunchie is nowhere near...
but the sad thing is only candy empire sells them...