Thursday, September 27, 2007

Dolphins under a Blue Sky

Seeing dolphins while out at sea is really a "blink and you'll miss" opportunity. Although there were times when a particularly big pod of dolphins swim past and their dorsal fins cresting through the water. It's a fantastic view. Similar to watching National Geographic but without the borders of a tv screen.

Moreover, dolphins usually appear when the sea state is good and bodes well for the weather ahead as well. So they are really a welcomed sight for sea-faring folks.

I was fortunate enough to see a small pod while keeping watch on Monday. Their distinct fins exposing as they approach the ship from the port bow.

But out of nowhere, as if brought on by the pod, the lyrics to the duet by Beth Orton and Terry Callier started in my mind.

I've been searching
For the dolphins
In the sea
Sometimes I wonder
Do you ever
Think of me?


And the most damning thing is this: I think this will become a recurring impression. It will become the first thing that comes my mind whenever I see dolphins in the wild.

All of a sudden, I feel so sad for myself.

But these things tend to go spiraling downwards. I looked up to the bright blue sky. And Ryan Adams started singing in my head.....

Blue sky
When you gonna learn to rain?
Let yourself go blue for once.
Let go of that weight
You've been carrying.

Fuck! Now dolphins and blue skies make me sad. How pathetic is that?

No comments: