Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Occupational Hazard

How many of you get to issue people warning letters or verbal warning records?

I've been in here for less than 6 years but I've issued 3 (soon to be another 2) verbal warning records and 3 warning letters. Along the way I have also charged a guy for being absent without leave. Taken away 10% off the gross salary of two others.

I'm not here to pretend that I'm righteous and above reproach. I'm saying that it's a burden to know that although the punishment is for them, their sons and daughters, wives and girlfriends, fathers and mothers are affected as well. How would you feel if you had your pay docked? Try explaining that to a person who, when needed, will be one you fight alongside with.

Careers are shortened. Relationships may potentially be irreversibly damaged. Bonuses are reduced. That's on top of bruised egos and hurt feelings. The hurt stretches from the heart right down to the gut and back out through a lighter pocket. And the cruelest part? To demand the same if not, even higher standard of work performance from them.

Who are we trying to kid here?

But I am not part of the social welfare function. That is not my job. My job is to follow directives that are meant to be a guide but deviate at your own risk, execute orders according to standard operating procedures and question only when expected to.

1 comment:

vulnerable toes said...

but they understand don't they?