Sunday, June 24, 2007

Semantics won't do

I like words. Written or spoken. Especially when they are stringed to form a sentence that is heartfelt and concise. Not drowning in verbosity. That captures only the essence and nothing more.

Words are important in communication. But words lead to miscommunication as well. A well-chosen word can fill your heart with joy. Corollary to that, a careless word can wrench your heart.

A true master lets you read between the lines. What then is one who gives clarity to a situation by saying nothing?

Sometimes a single insouciantly chosen word is already too much to bear. Much less need be said for a sentence. I listen to what other people say and sometimes I think about what they could have said otherwise, but did not. I wonder if they are conscious of what they are saying. And at times, more importantly, what they are not saying.

As much as words are used for communication, its absence does not render communication impossible. Instead, so much more can be used to fill the silent void. In a manner of speaking, communication is not just about saying the right things. Communication can take place in the absence of words when everything that needed to be made known can be told without the parting lips.

Just the parting of hearts.

In A Manner Of Speaking

In a manner of speaking
I just want to say
That I could never forget the way
You told me everything
By saying nothing

In a manner of speaking
I don't understand
How love in silence
Becomes reprimand
But the way that I feel about you
Is beyond words

Oh give me the words
Give me the words
That tell me nothing
Oh give me the words
Give me the words
That tell me everything

In a manner of speaking
Semantics won't do
In this life that we live
We only make do
And the way that we feel
Might have to be sacrificed

So in a manner of speaking
I just want to say
That just like you
I should find a way
To tell you everything
By saying nothing.

Oh give me the words
Give me the words
That tell me nothing
Oh give me the words
Give me the words
That tell me everything



Nouvelle Vague

5 comments:

lucid247 said...

isn't imeem fun?

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

I was about to say. It's still in "draft"...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Have you heard Martin L. Gore's take on this song?

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

yes, heard his version. As well as the original by tuxedomoon whose lead singer winston tong maintains his own website. winstontong.com

available for download.

Just me said...

The more we know the words, the harder it is to say them isn't it? Communication can be a bitch sometimes... Or maybe it's just the voices in our heads :-)