Saturday, June 16, 2007

Live! Friday!

Promised to check Serene out at Balaclava and finally after about a month of busy Fridays, I managed to heaved my bum over to the bar I dread going the most.

Balaclava.

The place reeks of new money and money grabbing. Seems like a place you can't go beyond a "hello" introduction without a name card.

But was there to check Serene and her "friendster face" friend, Kewei out. Kewei sings back up for David Tao and so she's not always around depending on David Tao's tour schedule. Serene was in the first Singapore Idol but being more pop bias, she didn't advance after the top 20 round.

They call themselves "Little Black Book" and perform at Balaclava every Friday night during Happy Hours. I was only able to make it to the second one-hour set which starts at about 7:45pm. Was there with PrincessPoof and had a last minute impromptu meet up with chiewmei. Met karnee there as well. Surprise surprise! Never knew I'd meet so many familiar faces there. Didn't really mingled much cause Poof and I were there to check Serene out mainly. Hmmm.. Serene sessions for A Little Dream as well. Was featured in Cleo I think.

They did a pop-jazz set which included songs like Desperado, Moon River, Way Back Into Love, Happy Together and was generally easy-listening. The crowd wasn't lapping it up cause they were probably busy schmoozing. But there were a few who really dug (past tense of dig?) the music and bobbing along. Friendly banter between the few of us helped to make us look less like groupies.

After the set, we asked Serene to join us at Timbre to check Timmy! out. Very enjoyable set. Serene introduced Poof and I to Eric (poof was eyeing Ngak, of course. Oops!). Eric works with people like steph sun, tanya chua, a-mei etc...but he is so humble! I thought he was wearing a tshirt with Jim Morrison from the Doors -

I thought, cool, Jim Morrison. Baby, light my fire!

But it was Marc Bolan instead.....


I know they don't look at all similar but when it's a on t-shirt and given a graffiti twist, it's not that easy to tell apart.

Faux pas!

3 comments:

Princess Poofie said...

i m not eyeing ngak larh...besides he has got a gf already....blaaaahhh..... d-:

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

so it's not ngak or because he has got a gf already??

Anonymous said...

i want to see ngak's pic!!!