Sunday, January 07, 2007

The music of Tokyo

This is a short and simple entry about the three songs I have associated with Tokyo:

Whistle Song - Fantastic Plastic Machine
I was listening to this on the aeroplane radio mix for dance music. It was so familiar and I almost recognised the track but the stewardess had to collect the headphones back. So I spent the rest of the bus ride from Narita Airport to ANA hotel trying to find the song on my iPod cause I was so damn sure I had it. Finally found it!

Clark Gable - The Postal Service
Was watching most of the first season of The O.C. while in Jados' apartment. And for those who watch, will know that Seth's a fan of Death Cab. Same here. I also like his offshoot, The Postal Service. And on the way from ANA hotel to Narita, was listening to Death Cab and The Postal Service. With the rain pouring outside the bus and the words of a song that goes:

I was waiting for a cross-town train
In the London underground
When it struck me
That I've been waiting since birth to find
A love that would look and sound
Like a movie
So I changed my plans
I rented a camera and a van
And then I called you
"I need you to pretend that we are in love again"
And you agreed to

I want so badly to believe
That "there is truth, that love is real"
And I want life in every word
To the extent that it's absurd

With much going on in my mind....the lyrics seems to be about my imagined life. Especially the bit about looking for a love that would look and sound like a movie.

No Rain - Blind Melon
My favourite song in 1993. While most other guys in my school were digging Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Stone Temple Pilots, this was the song that really gripped me. And this was also the song that was playing when the aeroplane was taking off from Narita, with the rain continuing to fall....

2 comments:

minty said...

yeah... blind melon is cool... check out the 'live' version of "no rain" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=judvPqMY8I0

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

thanks for the youtube link.

don't we all love the bee girl! especially when she made a special appearance in that year's MTV Video Music Awards.

=)

schweet!