Wednesday, January 24, 2007

LA is my angel

Adam Duritz has a way of describing pain and desolation.

I first heard of the Counting Crows when their first radio hit was playing on Perfect Ten. Think it was "Mr Jones" and the line "Believe in me because I don't believe in anything and I want to be someone to believe" was so "me" when I was a pimply Sec. 2 kid with the rest of my peers listening to Use Your Illusion 1 and 2, air-guitaring and playing imaginary piano through "November Rain".

I own pretty much every studio album that they released and I won't go so far to say that they get better with each album. With Counting Crows, what you get is this level of quality that is consistent with each album. Maybe it's the voice, the arrangement, the lyrics or I don't know what (sounds better in french).

I heard Goodnight LA today. And I heard the lyrics differently. The pause between Adam Duritz singing "what brings me down now" and "is love" had stretched itself out infinitely for me. I caught myself thinking what are the things bringing me down. And by the time I realise that I was stoning, he was already singing "cause I can never get enough of love". It was probably a brief moment that I had complete to myself.

I said goodnight LA
Cause I’m awake in my room
I’ve been up for 38 hours
And it don’t look like sleep’s coming soon
Cause I could break like a bird
Or I could swallow the sea
It seems like the daylight is coming
No one is watching but me
Cause I don’t mind the dark
Discovering the day
Cause the night is a beautiful bright blue and gray
But what brings me down now is love
Cause I can never get enough
And what brings me down now is love
Cause I can never get enough of love
And it’s a dangerous time
For a heart on a wire
Shuttle from station to station
Noisily not knowing why
So I put my head on the ground and the sky is a wheel
Spinning these days into things that I’ve lost
But you can keep all the years
But I don’t mind the days gone rolling away
Cause all this sunlight feels warm on my face today
But what brings me down now is love
Cause I can never get enough
What brings me down now is love
I can never get enough never get enough
Never get enough no no
Never get enough oh oh oh
I can never get enough of love
What brings me, brings me down now is love
Cause I can never get enough of love
I can never get enough of love
I can never ever get enough
I can never get enough of love

2 comments:

Michael Krahn said...

Hey,

Nice post... and your About Me description is hilarious!

I just put the second of 5 parts about Counting Crows up on my blog. The latest post is about "Round Here"

Found you through Google blog search because you mentioned the band.

Check it out:

http://krahn.blogspot.com/

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

thanks, my post on Counting Crows is nowhere as good as yours.

looking forward to the other parts on Counting Crows...

p.s. I remember that Rolling Stone cover! there used to be a tower record store in singapore.