Saturday, January 27, 2007

Miss Potter and the Lake District

Throughout my three years in UK, I only visited the Lake District once.

But the one visit was enough to convince myself that I must go there again one day.

If the new movie Miss Potter is going to feature the beautiful Lake District heavily, I will pay the ticket's price worth just to see the Lake District on the big screen. The movie is about Beatrix Potter who weaved tales of Peter Rabbit and other forest animals. She enjoyed many holidays as a child in Lake District and eventually lived there throughout her life. I think movies like Miss Potter can really promote UK as a tourist destination. Have they made a movie about the Bronte sisters yet? Then I can see the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors again. According to the www, there was a french movie shot in 1979 as well as a documentry in 2005 that featured Haworth...Sigh...I'll find time to scan in more photos from my Sunday walks. Interesting trivia: Wood sign posts in Haworth have Japanese characters to direct Japanese tourists. I don't see this much elsewhere in the dales and moors...

I find staying in bed and breakfast (B&B) such a refreshing change to chain hotels. Usually you'll be welcomed by the owner of the B&B. They are very kind with words and will just go all out to ensure that ou have a pleasant stay. I'm speaking of B&B outside London of course. And B&B that are accredited by the UK Tourism Board.
I've stayed in B&B in Knaresborough, York, Grosmont, Windermere and probably a couple more which I have forgotten.
Tradition B&B will feature wonderful pluses like a carpeted toilet, full English breakfast, four-poster beds, lots of down pillows and an experience you would want to repeat.

I don't know who can I convince to bring them to such places.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

convince?? does anyone need convincing after your wonderful description of traditional English B&B in the countryside??

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

I'll try and dig up some pictures and put them up this weekend...

My mum and sis are in Edinburgh at the moment. Sis having some sort of exchange programme.

Take care!

vulnerable toes said...

maybe we should seriously sit down and find some time to do some travelling together. Been putting it off for... 9 years now?

u must have influenced ur sis to do exchanges in UK... don't want to lose out to u!!! haha...

Unknown said...

There's a new site by the UK tourist board promoting the locations used in filming Miss Potter as well as Beatrix Potter's home, gallery and museum.

Have a look here:

http://www.enjoyenglandsnorthcountry.com/misspotter

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

thanks charlotte. i'd really like to visit the lake district again someday.