Friday, January 27, 2006

You can't help but look - sea state, puke and you.

My neighbour downstairs is a contract worker that includes shipyard repairs. He's watched me grown from a young boy till now and he is capable of much boh liao stuff.

On Monday I met him as I was entering the lift. He was getting off the lift, pushing his bike. He asked if I've been to South China Sea recently. I said no but soon. He gave a wicked smile. I kinda knew why so I follow up with a, "I think the sea state's rather bad. Monsoon." He said he heard from the yardworkers who heard it from other seafarers.

So I was suppose to sail this week. No, I am not an old sea dog. I'm not some landlubber either. But when you look at the wave height prediction and it says 2-3m....you do get a little worried. And when the patrol ships come back with the crew looking like they were ravaged along the way, pale and with the colour of drawn out from under their skin....you keep your fingers crossed. hell, if you could cross your toes, you would.

Some people say you can get used to sea state. I believe them. After sometime, you can get used to the sea state. You can handle sea state 3 better and perhaps even without the use of anti-motion sickness pills. I have taken them only once in my entire naval career. They work. But they made me sleepy. Not good when you have to keep watch.

I don't understand why the buff bags given by the navy has got to bee transparent. I appreciate that they are stronger than the normal plastic bags you get from market stalls or NTUC supermarkets. I just cannot understand why it has to be transparent.

Seasickness can be contagious. I mean, if someone in the combat information centre starts hurling and making all those "urgh, argh blurgh" sounds and the stale air starts to stench of puke, you'd want to puke too.

But back to the transparency part.

They say curiousity kills the cat. I think curiousity can make you throw up too. Because whoever works past you in a hurried manner with his knuckles white, fist clenching a buff bag, you can't help but look. You will look at the contents of that puke bag like it's the chioest bu along orchard. And the bag being transparent will mean that you can immediately see the contents. Not. Very. Nice.

Bits of noodle...unidentified flotsam....chunks with stringly bits...you can let your imagination run wild and at the same time discover how food is digested (or not) in your digestive system.

And what happens when you have puked all that you can inside your stomach? You get this weird coloured juice that doesn't smell like the normal puke. (I bet you know how that smells, don't pretend).

If you have never had to endure sea state that causes all the contents of your stomach to empty out and still puke some more....let me describe what you'll puke once everything you've eaten comes out already.

Think sugarcane juice:












Next think waterchestnut juice:












Now note the proportions: 2 parts sugarcane juice. 1 part waterchestnut juice. Dilute with 2 parts water. Stir well.

You should get this greengreybrownyellowish liquid that bears a strong resemblance to what the food in your stomach floats on....

No comments: