Monday, January 02, 2006

First Song in 2006

I was unfortunately at Phuture when 2006 came in through an alcohol-fuelled rush.

And Tony Tay had play the ultimate cop out song.

While I must admit that the song had great melody and has timeless appeal, the lyrics are just depressing.

Maybe the pessimist sees pessimism in everything.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

I disagree with these imaginnings. Heaven and hell, the idea of it, exists for a reason. That if you do good, you go heaven, and bad you go hell. There's got to be a carrot and stick situation before we action. And if everybody lived for today....we'll run out of resources.

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

I disagree with these imaginnings. Even without countries, people will still kill and die, for something else, like Hello Kitty toys, tickets to MOS, spraying Singapore girls with fake snow or silly strings. No religion? Some people seek solace and peace from religion.

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

I disagree with these imaginnings. It's like some cult recruitment. So joining John and Yoko will mean sitting in bed and fasting? Wearing round-rimmed glasses with a woman with bed hair can make the world come as one? Thank you, I'd rather queue up for Hello Kitty.

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

I disagree with these imaginnings. Look what happened to communism. People had no possessions, people were still greedy, people still died of hunger. Sharing the world? Brotherhood of man?

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

All in, this is a sad song about what we will never become. It's a great sing-a-long of what we can never be. And all the singer can offer us is to imagine.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i thought you should be enjoying yourself instead of dwelling on the lyrics!

chill, dude!