Sunday, January 22, 2006

Love or Passion?

I'm 26 going on 27. And it's going to be real soon.

As I am going into my 27th year of existence, I realised that shopping is really not my cup of tea. Despite what I thought previously, there can be a time when shops become stale and walking around looking at things while waiting for people to try on stuff can cause me to tear...

I am starting to understand why there's a phrase that goes "bored to tears".

It's not entirely terrible because you get to see pretty girls as well. But looking at pretty girls, like shopping, can get boring (*gasps*). Maybe it's cause I am not the person buying. And I think that's quite a legitimate reason why I get bored. Shopping is really more interesting if you are the person buying.

This boredom that a number (I suspect many) of men share can be seen plainly either outside popular shops (MNG, ZARA, GG<5) or the changing rooms. I'm not as sad as some because thank god, V doesn't ask me to carry her handbag. She won't ask me. I won't agree, unless for a good reason. None of these shops are very guy-friendly. You see guys in these shops not really sure where they should stand. They don't want to be seen leering towards the direction of the changing rooms. They don't want to be mistaken for a cross-dresser. They don't want to be blocking shoppers trying to access to some items.

Worse still are the questions. I mean, I'm interested in words. But I'm not a wordsmith or anything. Besides "nice", "not bad", "it'll look better if.....", "why not the other one...." and other noncommittal answers. But there are days when you really have opinions and they are genuine. But there's a limited number of comments I may have for a black cardigan, a while sleeveless top or dark grey/black/deep brown pants.

There was a time when I actually thought guys like them (who accompany their wives and girlfriends on shopping trips) are really pathetic. I mean, surely there are a million and one things to say about your loved one's dressing.

I think after writing this, V is never gonna ask me to shop again. She might even be angry and harbour some form of vengeance. But I think many boyfriends and husbands out there....don't really like standing under the spotlight of an already crowded shop waiting for their loved ones while being worried if they are mistaken for perverts, blocking shoppers or just being handbag holders.

Yeah, I think she is feeling something. Cause I just told her I was bored (see, I am lacking in the vocabulary department) during the shopping earlier on ICQ. She ended the night saying she'd tell me in advance in future if she is shopping. Perhaps she is really sleepy.

Maybe I will regret writing this blog.

And why Love or Passion? At 26. Is love more important than passion? If you are in a relationship with love but no passion, is there a future together? Is there is no love and solely passion, it is, I believe, no future to speak of. Why am I asking this question? I was looking at a bookmark at Borders. It had those two words carved. Two years ago, somebody asked me if I'd rather have happiness or joy. That question had stuck with me that long. It's like I love my life now because I am alive with enough to get by very comfortably. I have not been desperately poor ever. And that is perhaps why I don't live my life with passion. I get by each day like I know they'd be another tomorrow. I say the things I think people want to hear. I do the things that as far as possible pleases everyone.

I asked V the same question. She said she'd rather have love as well, thinking ahead. I think it is precisely because of that, I might have failed to live my life for today. To think ahead assuming that there's always a tomorrow when I can only be sure that now is present.

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps....

1 comment:

Princess Poofie said...

isn't happiness and joy the same thing???
like love and passion???