Wednesday, January 04, 2006

I am 1 of 20,000

I read Xiaxue's blog.

There, I have said it.

And in case you don't, she has the Best Singapore weblog in 2003. Went on to win Best Asian weblog in 2004 and 2005. Hell, if she was nominated for Best weblog in the world, she might have won that as well, judging by how her supporters turned out in force to vote for her.

Be it about using handicapped toilets, being kind to animals, bitching about this and that, I have read them.

And this recent case about foreign workings (FWs for xiaxue blogders) molesting Singaporean girls during Christmas and New Year countdowns....with her online petition to ban aerosol foam sprays....there's no way why she shouldn't win. I mean, Mr Miyagi and Mr Brown are totally wicked in their own way but really, this woman is sometime else altogether.

What prompted me to write this entry was that I saw the news coverage on the cases of molestation during NYE countdown and a check with Channel News Asia confirmed things.

I think she has given a voice to alot of victims out there. Singaporeans should be proud that a young woman is getting her voice heard and she is punching way above her weight. No wonder ST named her one of 25 top newsmakers last year.

R.E.S.P.E.C.K.

I don't think banning the canned foam and silly strings will help, in fact it will probably render us an oddity in the world (like no chewing gum) when we have such a blanket ban during countdown street parties. Revellers must be aware of such potential attacks. And bystanders must be ready to stand up for those who are weaker or unable to react. The victim is somebody's daughter, somebody's sister, somebody's wife, somebody's girlfriend....

No comments: