Saturday, January 28, 2006

Confessions of a randomised mind

Time on iBook: 3:50am 28 Jan 2006

Thoughts had sped through my mind over the last, perhaps, 17 hours.

There was this inexplicable desire to listen to The Man Who by Travis. Not any particular song but the entire album. I remember telling yy when I was in York that The Man Who must be the most coherent album I have ever heard. Something to do with Nigel Godrich no doubt. The Man Who, I thought then, would have been the album Radiohead never made. Had Radiohead leaned towards their pop sensibilities more with Nigel Godrich on their album after OK Computer (which was fantabulous), The Man Who could have resulted. But they made Kid A instead. For a while, Kid A was like a slang for an abysmal continuation following great success. But Radiohead continued to dominate. And Nigel Godrich is sometimes known as the sixth member of the band.

Was at the funeral wake of a friend's father. Was there with Ys and telling him this wasn't to be expected. We go through phases in our lives. During this age, we should be attending weddings, baby showers and random parties. Not funeral wakes of your friends' parents. Grandparents maybe. But not parents'. Sy's father had died as a result of lung cancer. He was a smoker and drinker. His timing could not have come at a worse time because of the proximity to the new lunar year.

At Brewerkz and had to remind myself that I had a McSpicy meal earlier and shouldn't eat too much. Had two pints and had to remind myself that I shouldn't drink too much. Followed the rest to MOS with Adam Freeland spinning. And seeing this ang moh seow who was so trying to get the DJ's attention by behaving similar to a monkey on drugs. And when the camera man was filming him, he thought he should look intoxicated by the music but really he looked just like a regular geezer. A semi-retard twit gurning away like he is the coolest thing on earth. Drank half a bottle of Heineken before passing the bottle to pin, again reminding myself not to drink too much. Saw tony tay seated behind the dj console with his wife perhaps. Not very sure who the girl was. Had to go up and say hi, happy new year and that. mong was suitably impressed that tony knew my name. I guess being a nuisance and writing to him when I was studying in York helped. Amazing how things progressed. Tony passed pin a private pressed (like real, it was just a cd-r) mixed disc of a set he played so that pin can send it to York for me. That must have been like 2000 or something. It's not like tony and I are great pals or anything. otherwise, i'd have gotten the muct coveted zouk membership wouldn't I? Haha, I guess when you're a student, inspired by alot of independent spirit and a willingness to try anything, you'd just go ahead and do it. I was trying to link up the local independent cinema to do some sort of a singapore film fest because eric khoo had the fantastic 12 storeys, kelvin tong had eating air and there were other short films that I thought deserved a wider audience. But in the end....only Kelvin Tong replied. cannot remember the contents anymore.

My closer for the day was again Travis. I particular their song, Slideshow.

In it, Fran sings

Cause there is no design for life
There's no devils haircut in my mind
There is not a wonderwall to climb
Or step around
But there is a slideshow and it's so slow
Flashing through my mind

I suppose some of the songs that you've heard might have meant so much to you at that point in your life. Maybe it was the Manic Street Preachers' A Design For Life. Maybe it was Beck's Devil's Haircut. Maybe it was Oasis' Wonderwall. But ultimately the songs are not as important as the memories with which the songs are connected to. Maybe a design for life frightened you when you are at junior college starting to think about the future. What if all the systems that you have been through will diminish the uniqueness that had gone spiralling downwards from the day you were born? Maybe a devil's haircut was something I needed then but never had. And perhaps there were many things I'd liked to say to a certain someone but I didn't know how then as I don't know how now. So what is a wonderwall anyway?


Time on iBook: 4:43am 28 Jan 2006

No comments: