Monday, December 12, 2005

Things that don't matter

Let me see. Yusof Ishak, Benjamin Sheares, Wee Kim Wee, Ong Teng Cheong and SR Nathan.

Who did I left out.

Yes, Devan Nair. Typical.

Incidentally, SR Nathan, Devan Nair and Yusof Ishak were at one point or another Victorians. Ok, maybe not so for Singapore 1st President since he was from Victoria Bridge School....and also, all the other Presidents less Ong Teng Cheong, being from The Chinese High, were from Raffles Institution. In fact, SR Nathan, born in 1924 must have been in Victoria School with Devan Nair, born in 1925 at the same time! But I digress...

Not many people remember Devan Nair. More sadly, people who do remember him can only think about his fall from grace. How people made fun of his name (Don't Ever Vote A Nair and No Alcohol, I Resign). In fact, I am one of the many Singaporeans of my generation to know him as that. An alcoholic President who made a fool of himself something or another because of his drinking problem which he vehemently denied.

Well. It is only after his death, through the many news reports, that I realised what a great politician he was and men of such calibre must surely be hard to come by. He was indeed instrumental in the early years when Singapore experienced rapid transitions; from a crown colony, to being part of Malaya and being an independent island nation. That he was forceful in his push for the well-being of the labour force and from which rose the National Trade Union Congress and how he thought important was a location where workers could enjoy amenities which led to the present day Down Town East. I suppose the Fairprices, Comfort cabs, Income insurances and May Day Rallies all have his fingerprints on them.

But I can only remember him as an embarrassment.

I suppose with him outed, certain person(s) have further guaranteed their position in the development of Singapore.

Peace out.

No comments: