Sunday, December 04, 2005

Lin Bao Ling

Ok, besides the Santarinas, the main thing I saw that made me drool notice was these series of paintings by an artist named Lin Bao Ling. She has vividly captured light and the energy within it set against the night. In her words:


I felt that the nightscape is mysterious and very often more attractive than the day scene because of the strong contrast between the light and darkness. The nightscape is mysterious and more beautiful as things are not so clear and the darkness covered up the imperfectness and with the help of light the scene becomes dramatic. Also, light is the symbol of hope. The light shine in the darkness makes me feel that there are still hopes in the hopeless world.

Based on the urban nightscapes, I focus and tried to capture the drama of light and darkness, I zoom in to certain part of the night scene, until the viewers cannot tell that it is a nightscape. So they can focus and appreciate better the beauty of light and darkness without the distraction of the other elements that consists a nightscape. As a result, the works are semi-abstract.


Check out her paintings. I hope her paintings don't increase in price when I do get my own place. It'll look great above a plasma tv. =)

No comments: