Friday, December 23, 2005

I'm not Scrooge but....

The festive season these couple of years aren't really fantastic.

Tis' the season to remember last year's boxing day tsunami. Fa la la la la lala la la . the year before was the earthquake in Iran. Fa la la la la lala la la...

Going back to Christmas of 2001, the world was still in irreversible throes caused by terror when America's mainland was "attacked". This transboundary threat hit home when Bali was bombed in 2002.

I didn't realise how little affection I have for Christmas until the Christmas of 1999. Probably the first Christmas away from home. Drank so much red wine with Chin and gang I think we were flammable.

The next morning, woke up with a terrible hangover but cause it was snowing a little outside, it didn't feel as bad. Distracted by the dismal desolation that was at once mesmerising and poignant. That was when I started to remember how Christmas had been. 1998 Christmas was spent with a good friend (since I was 9 but we hated each other then) taking a ride from Bendemeer on bus no. 64 going through Penang Lane, seeing the town's lights all the way to Queenstown, Mei Chin and Mei Ling road before looping back to Bendemeer.

I forgot to say that we had a bottle of Wild Turkey Bourbon Cola each before the bus ride.


If my memory serves me well, we were both single then, wondering why good catch like us weren't attached. I forgot to mention that we both have no shame.

I had broke up with my jc gf on christmas day 1997. morning. that day i had a chalet at pasir ris area. Not the NTUC chalet. met up with yf at pasir ris terminal and told him about it. bought me 2 bottles of chardonnay before proceeding to the chalet. maybe it's seasonal affective disorder (SAD) or maybe it's breaking up. But it was a bad time.

Now I treat myself better. I don't abuse my liver over a girl anymore. I don't need a reason anymore.

But seriously, Christmas is really a rather depressing time of the year. Maybe because I'm a procrastinator. So when Christmas swings by, it just mean that the year is drawing to a close but I've yet to complete many things I wanted to.

Now we are near another Christmas. On tv, you are reminded of the natural disaster last year. How to be jolly?

No comments: