Saturday, December 31, 2005

My Top 26 for 2005

The December issue of magazines and newspaper columns will usually have a "look back" of the year where favourites of the writer/reviewer will be listed.

I haven't been listening to much new stuff this year and probably can't have a "best albums of 2005" list. What I have instead will be 20 odd tracks that I have been listening to this past year. And they will include old songs because I have no care of the age of these songs. To me, there are all new to me cause I am eithering liking them for the first time or starting to like them after knowing them for some time. So basically these are songs that were constantly being played on my iPod or will be in the next coming period of time..

So in this particular order.......

James Blunt - Goodbye My Lover
I am a dreamer
And when I wake
You can't break my spirit its my dreams you take


Stevie Wonder - Lately

Well, I'm a man of many wishes,
I hope my premonition misses,
but what I really feel, my eyes won't let me hide,
cause they always start to cry


Antony & The Johnsons - Cripple And The Starfish

And there's no rhyme or reason
I'm changing like the seasons
Watch! I'll even cut off my finger
It will grow back like a Starfish!


Blur - Sweet Song

I'm a darkened soul
My streets all pop music and gold
Our lives are on TV
You switch off and try to sleep
People get so lonely


José Gonzalez - Heartbeats

You knew the hand of the devil
And you kept us awake with wolves teeth
Sharing different heartbeats in one night
To call for hands from above to lean on
Would that be good enough for me now?


Iron & Wine - Such Great Heights

I am thinking it's a sign
That the freckles in our eyes
Are mirror images
And when we kiss they're perfectly aligned


Snow Patrol - Run

Light up, light up
As if you have a choice
Even if you cannot hear my voice
I'll be right beside you dear


Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - How Do You Keep Love Alive

What, what are the words
They use when they know it's over
"We need to talk," or
"I'm confused, maybe later you can come over"


John Legend - Ordinary People

I hang up, you call,
We rise and we fall,
And we feel like just walking away,
As our love advances,
We take second chances,
Though it's not a fantasy,
I still want you to stay.


Gwen Stefani - Cool

And I'll be happy for you
If you can be happy for me
Circles and triangles
And now we're hanging out with your new girlfriend
So far from where we've been


Joss Stone - Spoiled

And I would only be fooling myself if I tried to
Believe there's room for someone else in my heart
There ain't no way I'm getting over you
I don't know what I've been trying to prove
I'm hopeless, helpless when it comes to you


Nick Drake - Northern Sky

I never felt magic crazy as this,
I never saw moons knew the meaning of the sea.

I never held emotion in the palm of my hand
or felt sweet breezes in the top of a tree.

But now you're here, brighten my northern sky.


Apollo 440 (featuring Billy MacKenzie) - Pain In Any Language

You’re gonna need me like I need you right now
You’re gonna need me it’s the same in any language
The pain in any language is the same in any language


Broken Social Scene - Lover's Spit

You know its time that we grow old and do some shit
I like it all that way


Frank Sinatra - As Time Goes By

It's still the same old story
A fight for love and glory
A case of do or die
The world will always welcome lovers
As time goes by


The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

They will see us waving from such great heights
"Come down now," they'll say
But everything looks perfect from far away
"Come down now," but we'll stay . . .


Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

If you open your mind for me
You won't rely on open eyes to see
The walls you build within come tumbling down
And a new world will begin


Sufjan Stevens - The Dress Looks Nice On You

When the world looks back.
When the face looks after that.
I can see a lot of life in you.


David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes

I never done good things
I never done bad things
I never did anything out of the blue


The Killers - Mr Brightside

Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it’s just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
‘Cause I’m Mr Brightside


The Bravery - Honest Mistake

Don’t look at me that way
It was an honest mistake


Johnny Cash - Hurt

if I could start again,
a million miles away,
I will keep myself,
I would find a way


Kings Of Convenience - I Don't Know What I Can Save You From

but I realized that the one you were before,
had changed into somebody for whom
I wouldn't mind to put the kettle on.
Still I don't know what I can save you from.


Damien Rice - The Professor
*new entry!*
Too many options may kill a man
Loving is fine if it's not in your mind
But I've fucked it up now, too many times
Loving is good if it's not understood
Yeah, but I'm the professor
And feel that I should know


Tom McRae - 2nd Law
*new entry!*
So tell them
If you see them
That I am better left alone


Humpback Oak - No Finer Time To Be Alive
*new entry!*
Down to the low life
Well, do I like it?
No finer time to be alive


I might add more....but at another time....really up to my neck these days.......


Added on 29 Dec 05: I think this should be my final 25. I might just add a couple more. There are 2 more days to go afterall.

Added on 31 Dec 05: See what I mean? There is always a chance that another can squeeze in. Couple more hours to go!

1 comment:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Apollo 440? Is that a new one? It has been years since I last picked up an Apollo 440 CD.