Sunday, December 11, 2005

Hokklish

While we are still grappling with the whole Singlish gives us identity issue, I kinda realise that there is another branch of pidgin called Hokklish.

Examples:

I didn't study for this exam, this time sure up lorry liao. (up lorry here refers to hokkien phrase ki chia which means up the car which is the same as to say when the coffin is placed into the van to be driven for burial or cremation. Hence it connotes a terrible situation)

I didn't study for this exam and if I fail it, then it's H.K. liao. (here H.K. is the abbreviated form of hong gan which is hokkien for getting fucked, which is not the state you'd want to be)

I didn't study for this exam so even if I fail I also L.L. (here L.L. refers to lan lan which is when you are caught between a rock and a hard place)

No comments: