Thursday, October 20, 2005

Yorkshire

I found myself wondering into the quaint English towns of Yorkshire tonight.
In particular those of North Yorkshire and the little towns that are found along the Esk valley. I miss the Lake District too of course.

My fondest memories are still of those where I go walking on Sundays with the outdoor society and discovering towns that are found only in story books or some travel programme.

The wide-open greeness flanked by limestone crags, layers buliding upon layers of undulating greenery. That was typical of the scene you can find in the dales like in Malham. While the moors gave a more subdued sense of nature's beauty with the colours of heather and rocky streams that flow eastwards like in Robin Hood's Bay.

The North York Moors Railway that runs through Esk Valley and the surrounding towns that dot along are the reasons why I like Goathland, Grosmont and Pickering.

With regards to the Lake District, my sole regret is that I have only been there once in all my three years in Yorkshire and the only consolation is that I was there during autumn. I don't think there are many places in the world that can beat the scenic beauty of an autumn's sunset while on a boat ride in the calm waters of the lake in Grassmere. In the words of Wordsworth, "it was the most loveliest spot that man hath found".

I would love to put some pictures here but I don't have a scanner....digital wasn't so popular or affordable in my uni days.....but will do so soon....

Debbie was telling me on Sunday that our French heroine, Vero, is back in York doing her PhD. That posited an opportunity to organise an excursion to York and the surrounds in the next 2-3 years or more, depending on how quickly Vero gets her thesis done. Wow, all the sights of Yorkshire again?


Breathe jackson, breathe....

No comments: