Friday, October 21, 2005

My friend is now a father

I was over at Gleneagles Hospital this evening with V. Prior to that, I was at my gran's place.

Gran's right knee is hurting and my mum thinks it might be something to do with uric acid. She's still sprightly when I was chatting with her. But when she tried to stand, I had to hold her in order for her to find her balance. It looks a little swollen, her leg from the knee down. She's suppose to see the doctor tomorrow. It's been more than 3 weeks since she felt the pain and despite applying ointment and sticking medicated plaster, it hasn't been getting any better.

In July, she took a fall in market and if not for a kind man who helped her up, she would have spent a much longer time on the market ground. I can only wish that when I do see old folks needing assistance, I can do enough to help them. Surely they might be somebody's grandparent or parent and I am sure a grandchild or child somewhere is grateful for the fact that there are kind souls out there who will render help when it is needed. Gran does not know who the kind soul was, I thank you, wherever you are.

V and I were at Gleneagles because our friends became proud parents of their newborn daughter last night. The little baby girl was born at 2219H in Gleneagles. My friend, the same one that has gone through midshipman course, basic diving course, went through two 2-month sea deployment having visited medano, kure, hiroshima, pusan, chinhae, manila, bangkok, qingdao, kaohsiung with. The same friend whom together with me were commissioned as officers at the same parade and went on to UK to do our degrees. He being in london, ha invited me down several times and I remember the brocolli dinners, drunk snow fights in london. The same friend who I bumped into while we were both holidaying in florence, the same friend who tried to use his then girlfriend, now wife, as bait when i was waiting for him at king's cross station.....pretty as his wife is, i didn't take the bait. the same friend who went through njoc with me and went on to complete his spec course while i played catch up and now finally i caught up and we will both be heading to the same course next week. the same friend who seemed to know the people i consider as friends who are likely to see me through (poh huat, yisheng, pin). And that friend is now a father.

standing in the maternity ward with his family and friends, i could not sense the pride coming from him like a father should. but that is exactly the way he has always been. generous and selfless. he shares the pride with everyone who was in the ward. anyone who came to see his little princess was allowed to bring back a memory. there was something else that has overtaken pride. something more dignified, congenial, disarming even. something which was always found in him like when he was awarded the sword-of-honour. something that eludes me, that i can only always play catch up to.

my friend is now a father.

No comments: