Sunday, October 23, 2005

Fans of Hong Kong Films

I read with dread when I follow the news regarding the Hollywood remake of Infernal Affairs. I would rather watch this trilogy than The Godfather trilogy.
I think the story in The Godfather is intriguing and gripping but I can't remember much from le classique.

Infernal Affairs on the otherhand is succinct (despite being a trilogy) and maintains your attention span. More Pop no doubt.

The remake is famously gonna have Martin Scorsese team up with Leonardo DiCaprio again (third time after Gangs of New York and The Aviator). Leonardo plays the Tony Leung character while Matt Damon (no longer brad Pitt) takes on the Andy Lau role - sinister role, just like The Talented Mr Ripley. Mark Wahlberg is the Anthony Wong role - both their superiors and Jack Nicholson is playing the Eric Tsang role.

I read that Martin Scorsese didn't watch the original according to some website reports but I think that's fine. He will be able to give the movie a unique feel. I'm not sure if many of the lead actors/actresses seen the whole original trilogy. The Departed - name of the remake - was re-writtened by William Monahan (he wrote Kingdom of Heaven too), supposedly combining the entire trilogy into one movie.

I have a bad feeling about this one.

I didn't watch Gangs of New York. I thought Leo was poorly casted in The Aviator and the movie was a tad too long.

I must remember that however much praise was lauded on these two men, they have never received any Oscar, however many times there were nominated.

3 comments:

Tan Kok Seng said...

Let's just hope someone in Hong Kong realises that the Hollywood remake will ultimately drive demand for the original Media Asia trilogy. Just like the awful Point of No Return drove demand for Luc Besson's La Femme Nikita.

The trilogy needs to be on Amazon.

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

I do have the trilogy in dvd. But what I would like to have as well is the Young And Dangerous series in dvd. Know where to get them?

Surprisingly, Amazon does have Infernal Affairs 1 through to 3. =) Just run a search on their site.

Tan Kok Seng said...

I've only ever seen Young and Dangerous in Hong Kong stores. Maybe you can try yesasia website.

:-)