Sunday, October 30, 2005

Weekend marriage pressure

My cousin got married on Saturday.
So I suppose it was "natural" to be asked when my turn was.

Try "If you have to ask me, then not yet."

And the shocking thing was this: even my peers asked me. I finally managed to check Zouk (revamped) out. I don't know where the 7 million went to. Perhaps the fibreglass looking ribcage covering the winebar? Perhaps the extended depth and width of Phuture? Perhaps the migration of the Phuture bar or the LED screen? Perhaps the extended Zouk members' area? Perhaps the textured walls that run one side of Zouk? Perhaps the new sound system? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps.

I hope it's the sound system. Didn't check velvet out, not incline to.

So we were all tucked nicely but warmly at the end of winebar and I cannot for the life of me recall what happened. I think someone asked someone why s/he got married. Somehow the spotlight fell on me.

What?

Chinese New Year came early?

Anyway, cousin's wedding was a subdued affair. Simple, compared to those weddings that include powerpoint presentation of the wedding album, video show of the day's happenings....e tc etc...but what it had in place was good humour - from the groom's brother and plenty of decorum. Not usual but it is a wedding no less.

The groom's family came from everywhere. Originally Sri Lankan and now the groom's US citizen but probably a PR here. Spoke at length with his sister who is a nurse practitioner if I did hear her correctly. She is from Richmond, Virginia. We were just asking each other some questions and somehow she started asking about Lee Kuan Yew whom she thought was still the Senior Minister. After correcting her, I went on to compare the political structure of our two countries. I was quite critical of the current US President but thought his team was one of the most progressive in terms of make up. Her own words, "Bush isn't too bright but he has a fantastic team of advisors." I cannot disagree.

I later learn from my aunt that the groom is a Republican.

Ouch.

I must learn to be conversationally neutral. Learn my lesson.

No comments: