Saturday, May 27, 2006

To remember by

I've finished the Taiwanese serial Devil Beside You (恶魔在身边) and I think I'll stave off serials for some time.

V finished it some time ago. She's re-watching bits of it. Taiwanese teeny-boppy serials are a microcosm of teenage love and young romance. There'll be the moments where hearts go fluttering, the energy-sapping chase, the sweet get-together, the apprehension that comes from possible third parties, the inevitable separation and the "happily ever after" reunion. It doesn't bring back much memories. In fact, I cannot recollect having any similarities. Well, yes. Maybe.

Whenever we're talking about the serial, we seldom refer the characters by name. Usually by nicknames. Because I spend most of the time oogling at Rainie 杨丞琳 and so cannot remember the names I'll compile the names here. It doesn't mean much to anyone else except for V and I.

First up is the male lead. The Devil himself, 江猛. I'm not sure why but the rest of the characters call him "mon" or "ja'mon". So V and I conveniently call "him" Ham because jamon is spainish for ham. I remember it well because V asked me what were the huge pieces of cured meat hanging in the supermarket. It was shaped like a headless and feetless goose. So I told V that it was the ham that we've been eating, the jamon sandwiches. So he's "Ham".



The reason why I watch this serial. Sigh....Rainie....I watched 夏天的原味 for the same reason.... I think I didn't really notice her until V was singing her songs at KBox. I then realise that she's the girl from Guess Guess Guess..Nevertheless, she gets a nickname. Which we came up with in the train today. I had to hush V up cause the lady next to me had a mole on her face as well. Anyway, 齐悦 is the character she plays. Some sweetie pie who is almost a doormat. V and I code her with "Moley".


源伊, also the first person Rainie's character confessed her love to. Turns out he's not the perfect gentleman he is seen to be. He looks alot like our local Steven Lim. In the serial, he ended up with Rainie's good friend. I think this is often the case in real life as well. Or at least, I often hear of such stuff...He's quite a goody two shoes and is not as suave as Ham (see above). Compared to Ham, he is a wimp. So his nick became "Wimpy".



This is the good friend of Moley. They are both the same age. Moley, together with her and another girl are a trio who attends most of the same class and are of the same age. But she looks older. Much older than the other two girls. So she ended up as "Old girl/woman".





This girl is part of the trio. Nothing much about her. I can't even remember her name off hand. Wait, is she actually in this show? We call her, amongst other things, "The girl", "the dunnowhatshername", "the ugly one" (so evil...), and some others. If there is ever an intent for a spin off, she is the least likely to be nominated.




She is totally infatuated with Ham. Calls him "Prince" and constantly found around him. Appears aloof but turns girlish once "Prince" is around. When she is away from him, she becomes this manipulative hell-reject with high heel boots and a black ensemble. Her jet black straight hair with a couple of blue streaks completes the look. She's "Gothika". Derived from "gothic".




This guy likes Gothika but dare not tell her. Suspected to be bisexual since he claims to have invested alot of love and care to Ham. He is always found with some hair accessory. Like the head band he is wearing now. Usually he'll have a pair of goggles around his forehead as well. I don't know why he has it. Maybe it's the same as Linus and his security blanket. I don't know. So he's "Goggles".



The serial was quite enjoyable. And I am finally starting to get quite enough of Rainie Yang. As in, I've gotten enough of her on screen. I'll plan my next overseas trip to Taiwan and check out which shopping centre or town she's scheduled to appear in.

Like real I am.

3 comments:

von said...

haha. i like that series a lot!! and yes, rainie was reason i started on the show too! haha..

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

have you watched 夏天的原味? Rainie Yang and Roy Qiu got a lot more chemistry going on I thought.

haha, ok, I cannot believe I just replied to your comment this way.....

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Wow. I can only say that this is utterly alien to me.