Saturday, February 09, 2008

As we are

I appreciate honesty.


And to read the way Shah Rukh Khan dissects his latest Bollywood offering, Om Shanti Om, is just pure magic. He knows how non-fans perceive Bollywood as this ott 2plus hour musical with too much singing and dancing and a too familiar plot.

"It's kitschy. There's no denying that," he said.

"It's a lot of colour. It's a little louder than loud. But that's the kind of people Indians are.

"We do express ourselves a little loudly. We get angry louder, cry louder and laugh louder."
"We wanted people to know that our movies are like this and we're very proud of it," Khan said.

However King Khan is very proud of this fact. And he never proclaims to be arty about it. If you can cook only fried eggs, say that you can cook only fried eggs. Don't explain why there are only eggs in your fridge. Erm......ok, so that analogy doesn't really work......

"I would like to introduce different aspects of my country, without apologising about the fact we make a certain type of cinema.

He is not disillusioned about making it big elsewhere with his status as the reigning king of Bollywood.

"I'm 42 years old. I'm a little bit brown. There is no space or place for me," he said.

"It's not like I land in New York or Los Angeles and Steven Spielberg's waiting for me. He's not."

I like this line a whole lot. Too bad we don't see many of his Singaporean fans wearing bell-bottoms.

"But we'll still wear the bell-bottoms. We like that."

Eh, wait a minute.

No comments: