Sunday, July 08, 2007

My Etys are brand new - again!

I got a brand new pair of Etymotic ER6i cause the last pair, after one replacement, went kaput. They have a lifespan of about 6 months under me. At $280 a pop, they aren't disposable (that's more than a pair of Nudies!!).

But I heart these little bitches cause they provide such superb sound isolation. Which means to say, when I am traveling in a public transport, I don't have to hear children crying, China people yakking at the top of their voice, irritants using their handphones as boomboxes.... I have also started using form tips which kind of say "fuck off" to people around me cause it's easily recognisable as ear plugs.

I have to be really careful with this new pair cause Ivan (Cheng, owner of Norman Audio - read this) said that though mine was no longer under warranty, being an existing customer, he'll try his best to get a set at a reduced rate. I think he was just being kind. Probably earned less from this pair he sold me at almost half price.

There is a new model - Ety8, these earphones are built like in-ear monitors but wireless. Looks blocky but in a slightly geek-cool way.

If I ever intend to get a sound system for my place, I think I'll head to Ivan for advice first. Get an audition with the system he recommends before deciding..... Ivan provides excellent service and I know that because although I am not an audiophile (cause I don't go around forcing radios, turntables and speakers to give me a "nice time", neither do I want bed an amplifier) and only an owner of a pair of earphones (which I didn't get them from Norman in the first place), he treated me like he would with the other customers (observed this from numerous visits).

And if your visit ends with a purchase, he always says "Enjoy!" like he meant it. Because that's what it is all about.



No comments: