Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hairy Potter

The Order Of The Phoenix was altogether a rather fantastic film that felt just right in terms of pacing. This was the first Potter movie where I have not read the book.

And the used such words like "peaky"! How colloquial!

*potential spoilers but I doubt it
I think it's got alot of themes going on and that makes it such an enjoyable series for children of all ages - including the young at heart. It talks about how connections are made (you two are not the same, it is who you are not that brings you two together), price of pursuit (when you care with all your heart, that is the most you will lose) and loss (things that are meant to be yours which you've lost will come back to you. Just not always in the same way you'd want them).

The movie's just about as dark as the previous but I guess themes have moved on. Death is still pretty much discussed. My sis pointed out that although only Harry and Luna Lovegood could see the thestrals initially (both having seen death previously), the gang who wounded up at Ministry of Magic rode on them without having the ability to see them. Hmm....

Anyway, can't stand Cho Chang much....If I were Harry, I would definitely pick Luna Lovegood. Followed by Ginny Weasley. Reason being Luna has got this kookiness that is so endearing. Yes, Luna is derived from "lunar" or "moon" which is the root word for "lunatic". How clever....and Ginny because....she's a Weasley! And Ginny, supposedly short for Ginvera, which is derived from an Italian word for "Juniper". I love the smell of juniper which is so dominant in gin tonic. Which I like...haha! And Cho Chang? Supposedly Cho is "autumn" in some dialect. Cantonese? Not sure.

Pick the moon Harry!

No comments: