Sunday, May 13, 2007

Nouvelle Vague @Zouk Very Pampered

To think I was at Zouk Winebar from 8:40pm but only got in at about 10:15pm. Was glad I persevered cause they started only at 10:50pm instead of the scheduled 9:00pm. By then all the good spots were taken and together with the VIP cordoned area, it was sheer luck that I found a small space. Met Ed with his friend Jae at the Winebar so had a bit of company.

Nouvelle Vague is a fantastic name for a band that does covers of British New Wave (post-punk and punk as well) in a Bossa Nova style. Nouvelle Vague means Bossa Nova in French. Bossa Nova means New Wave. So....it's a pretty neat package....oh is it just me who thinks it so? Tres chic don't you know? So very à la mode. And I don't mean that it is served with ice-cream....duh.

Melanie Pain was in Flapper inspired fashion. So 1920s. So now! I think the other was Phoebe Killldeer...or is it Marina Celeste? Haha.....anyway, she was a little Mary Quant and in a hiply-htched mini dress.

I don't think I got all the songs in the setlist down pat. I was trying to remember the titles but some just escape me. And the bits of lyrics I heard don't necessarily point me to the right direction.....so anyway, here below is what I think was the setlist.

The Killing Moon - Echo & The Bunnymen
Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol
Ever Fallen In Love? - The Buzzcocks
Making Plans For Nigel - XTC
Blue Monday - New Order
Human Fly - The Cramps
Guns Of Brixton - The Clash
Too Drunk To Fuck - Dead Kennedys
A Forest - The Cure
Teenage Kicks - The Undertones
Heart Of Glass - Blondie
Sweet And Tender Hooligan - The Smiths
Dance With Me - Lords Of The New Church
Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus
Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Divison
In A Manner Of Speaking - Tuxedo Moon

The improv on some of the songs, especially on tracks like Love Will Tear Us Apart and Too Drunk To Fuck was just brilliant. Great vibes all round. Short set, nothing to complain, plenty to compliment. Nice.

No comments: