Monday, May 14, 2007

....and all the broken hearted.... (A Tribute To Jeff Buckley)


I can still remember the day I read about the untimely death of Jeff Buckley. It was already some days after 29 May 1997 that it was reported in the local papers. I still have the newspaper cutting stuffed in the CD jewel case of his debut full-length album, Grace. The following is my dream concert.



A single bulb threw a spot of light down from the roof of the concert hall. Through a scattering of dust and smoke onto a silhouettee of a man. His arms draped over his Fender. He moved and begins to strums as if he were tuning as the spot of light grew bigger but kept the rest of the concert hall in its umbra.

His fingers finally finds a familiar sequence of chords as he breaks into Morning Theft.

Time takes care of the wound or so I can believe.....true self is what brought you here to me, a place where we can set this love free......a place where we can save.....a heart that beats as both siphon and reservoir.....we come together to making chance into starlight.......I had to send it away to bring her back again.

We sat. Enraptured. Grateful.

Without so much as a moment to gasp in this aural delight, the lights burst open to reveal the band. Mick Grondahl on bass, Matt Johnson on drums and Michael Tighe on guitars. Michael Tighe started plucking the riff from Grace and soon the band started to come alive.

Well it's my time coming, I'm not afraid to die. My fading voice sings of love but she cries to the clicking of time. And I feel them drown my name, so easy to konw and forget with this kiss. I'm not afraid to go but it goes so slow.


As the last note fades out, Jeff muttered, "Thank you...this next song is I Woke Up In A Strange Place.." even as he was strumming the intro.

This is no song for the dislocated. The one you loved but it turned to be hated. Because the lies of the spirit possessed you. Because the eyes of your lover resist you. Fate is gonna find your love in a glass of champagne.

Without missing a beat, he started singing Vancouver.

Lady, all the troubles are my fright. I disgust you. I am your failed husband contender. I am your loan shark of bliss. I need to be alone to heal this bleeding stone. It still insists that we beg for our purity as it we are pure in the rain of our contentment. As if I can think of this no more.

Taking a pause and a swig of Guinness, he looked out and spoke. "I'm amazed you guys actually listen to this stuff." We laughed uncomfortably. Somebody in the audience shouted, "Take me home Jeff!" He gave a shocked look before replying, "You have to share the room with the rest of the band." We all laughed. "The next song is "Everybody Here Wants You."

Such a thing of wonder in this crowd. I'm a stranger in this town. You're free with me. And our eyes locked in downcast love, I sit here proud. Even now you're undressed in your dreams with me. I'm only here for this moment....


Written by James Shelton, made famous by Elkie Brooks but owned by Nina Simone, Jeff Buckley brought down a notch further and sang Lilac Wine.

When I think more than I want to think or do things I never should do. I drink much more than I ought to drink because it brings me back you. Lilac wine, I feel unready for my love.


The strumming continued into So Real.

I love you but I'm afraid to love you.

The lights reduced to wrap Jeff Buckley alone. "Fools really could suck but I am the final idiot." (actual quote) He started strumming the chords for Lover, You Should've Come Over.

And maybe I'm too young to keep good love from going wrong. Too young to hold on and too old to just break free and run. And much too blind to see the damage he's done. Sometimes a man must awake to find that really, he has no one. Oh, will I ever learn. It's never over, my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder. It's never over, all my riches for her smiles when I slept so soft against her. It's never over, all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter. It's never over, she's the tear that hangs inside my soul forever.


"I can't believe Jamie (fuck up my song) Cullum tried to cover this song." The audience cheered in agreement.

Nightmares By The Sea.

I've loved so many times and I've drowned them all. From their coral graves they rise up when darkness falls. With their bones they'll scratch the window, I hear them call, 'Don't know what you asked for.'

He then said, "I think you all know this one." Hallelujah. And as a bonus, it was the medley version with I Know It's Over by The Smiths.

I've seen your flag on the marble arch but love is not a victory march. It's a cold and it's a broken, Hallelujah.


Oh, Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my head.....Loud loutish lover, treat her kindly though she needs you more than she loves you and I know it's over. Still I cling. I don't know where else can I go....over and over....

"You guys have been great. I'll leave you with this song. This is Last Goodbye."

Did you say, 'No, this can't happen to me.' And did you rush to the phone to call. Was there a voice unkind in the back of your mind saying maybe you didn't know him at all.


When the last note rang out, the band left the stage amidst a cacophony of gratuitous clapping, shouts of yeahs and sharp shrills of whistling. "Encore!", somebody shouted. And another. And another and then another. Soon the audience was up on their feet, clapping in unison, coaxing the band and the man to come out and satiate their thirst for more of Jeff Buckley.

It was another minute before Jeff came back on stage. The noise level went up several notches and quietened down as Jeff sat down. He took a gulp of the remaining Guinness and walked back towards the curtain. The band appeared and pushed him towards the centre. And they played a three song encore. Starting with Dream Brother.

The love you lost with her skin so fair is free with the wind in her butterscotch hair. Her green eyes blue. Goodbyes with her head in her hands and your kiss on the lips of another. Asleep in the sane with the ocean washing over.

Then Mojo Pin.

The welts of your scorn, my love, give me more. Send whips of opinion down my back, give me more.


And finally, in a fitting tribute to Nina Simone, he breathed into the microphone and said, "This is another Nina Simone song." That's All I Ask.

All that I ask is for a kiss each day and I'll give you love that will never go away.


And with one last bow, the light dimmed for the last time.

No comments: