Saturday, September 17, 2005

Singapore, Katrina, Thomas L. Friedman, Ruth Mary Thomas and the education system

It's a long title. I know. But that's how it all connected.

On 14 Sep, this article - Singapore and Katrina was published simultaneously in New York Times and Straits Times, this article by Thomas L. Friedman (American, NYTimes 3-time Pulitzer Prize winner - ok, accolades are not important here. Credibility comes with substance, not prizes).

It was Tomorrowed. Naturally.

And the Chansidines blogged it. And went on to say this...

If Singapore experiences a disaster where community and government is at a breaking point, I really question who will show up.
Hey, no problem man, really, everyone gets to have their say. And so I left a little comment. Ok, maybe not that little.
Like you I question. From past results, not too bad. Judging from what I witnessed during the Boxing Day Tsunami. But it wasn’t like in our own backyard. Imagine Ang Mo Kio being swamped (hard lah, us having HDB high-rise instead of shotgun houses, no French Quarter as well…)

But of course, “breaking point” is subjective. But were the US leaders and community at “breaking point”? Community had time and money to make placards instead of using the money to donate to the grief strickened and the time to dedicate themselves to volunteer work. Bush was on holiday and went on-site 5 days after the natural disaster. Rice was seen buying shoes in new york, cheney remained on holiday?

US news agencies in their expensive helicopters were more interested in filming down the faces of the victims and crowding out the airspace for the relief helicopters…

Dearth in leadership man….cronyism in the greatest democracy in the world. Thank god Mr Brown has been removed. He can drink all the stiff magaritas he wants.

I hope we are together when I say I hope everyone will show up. And hope is the least we can do.

And this was what the reply was...
I just got a free copy of the IHT (16.9.05).

Interestingly a Sporean responded to the Friedman article in this edition. She said something along the lines of “If Singapore experiences a disaster where community and government is at a breaking point, I really question who will show up.

“The problem in Singapore is because of meticulous governance, we have become overdependent on the government. Many people here believe that if Singapore were to have a disaster of such a magnitude, most people would leave the country. And every Singaporean knows there is some truth in this. ”

I actually think the problem isn’t overdependence on the government. It’s more a cultivation of the “each man for himself” mindset which, depending on the context, may or may not be a good thing.

Of course I replied. Wei, I am a sailor leh. I do hold certain values close to my heart, even if you don't believe it is in me.
Hey, you know what, that’s probably true.
But again I think not everyone who wanna leave can afford to leave.
And not everyone would wanna leave.
And you are right. Apathy is something which a government that wields such control is probably rather worried about. Followed by complacency then overdependence.

It probably sounds really cheesy but there are values like loyalty in more of us who will stay than there are those who choose to leave. And frankly, the Singapore I know has never cultivated an “each man for himself” mentality in me.

you were probably talking about Ruth Mary Thomas.
Got me thinking man. I mean, am I really going to work everyday (ok, not now, since I am on MC), going for exercises, going for training, training up my guys, you know, those stuff you see on tv, the sun the sand and the sea for people who thinks that we are living in society that believes in "each man for himself"? Damn it, must girls go through National Service before they know what it means to stay for the guy next to you?

Ok, maybe I am a little too harsh, and a little too worked up over a single blog. And I really do hope that deep down every Singaporean, we are not like what Ruth Mary Thomas said. We are not so selfish like what the Chansidines said. Please let us not be tested, and should we be, please don't let each other down. Hey, I don't think lowly of the Chansidines. If disaster should strike, they might be one of those able and willing to leave. That is their prerogative. The guy don't seem like he need to serve or has ever served National Service. She claims that he is a B.O.O.B.S (Boyfriend Of Overseas Bonded Scholar). So she must be the overseas bonded scholar then? Or am I being presumptuous? I will not respected them any lesser just because they leave, that is if they are.


The education system bit? Well, Thomas L. Friedman got more good things to say....see here!

No comments: