Friday, September 30, 2005

Boring entry

I have been at work for much of the week. Probably explains why the lack of blog entries. Two lousy entries; one annoucing the death of postmark and another about the wonderful sunday outing to the zoo with V.

And I was suppose to update the zoo entry.

Monday, I got email saying that there's gonna be an inspection 48 hours later. So got my guys together and motivated them. We had pretty awesome results previously. There was a change in the inspector.

He has since passed away.

Committed suicide.

Sad.

I should blog about suicides I have heard of this year. Jumping off buildings seem to be pretty much the way to go. Had a talk with V about 2 weeks back about suicides while having aglio olio pepperocino at prego's.

I used to think that people who dare to take their own lives must be very brave.
After reading Prozac Nation in my second year of uni (it was in the uni's library - under Psychology), I kinda think it's not about guts. It's about making decisions more than bravery. It's like economics, which I was doing then. Decisions, that's talking about utils. I buy apples and not oranges because I derive more utils from apples than oranges. I kill myself and not live because I get more utils from being dead.

I guess that is the ultimate pleasure.

When I graduated, my parents flew over to attend my graduation. I do not come a very well to do family so I had to trade off my youth for this chance at experiencing an overseas education. My parents paid for their flight here. And I paid for as much of their expenses while they were in UK.

I then decided that suicides are no longer about decisions. They are about shirking responsibilites. That's not very brave.

But then you learn about the frail nature of the human condition.

Some people just can't help it.

It's like Elizabeth Wurtzel had to physically hurt herself to make tangible what had no source and no form but was giving her hell. Some people just can't help it.

I no longer know if people who actually committed suicide are brave, decisive, shirkers or just helpless. I suppose things were clearer when I was younger and you didn't have so much information to form an opinion.

Anyway, back to the inspection. The guy who was replaced by the suicide came back to his office again. So the new inspector was actually the inspector who got replaced. Tough. This lau chek is very meticulous. Meticulous is a nice euphemist for someone who was as yim jim as him. He checks every barrel, every gun sight, every bolt, nut and spring, muster all your accessories, check your records leaving no stone unturned. I guess he is just doing his job. If all the toilet cleaners in Singapore is as detailed in their work as this lau chek, narbeh, I tell you, Singapore toilet seats will be clean enough to eat off. No one would of course, some genius invented table and utensils for that purpose. Digressing: Do you know toilet cleaners will purposely lock a number of toilet cubicles in a building just so that they clean less toilets? There is this building in base where the middle toilet cubicle of every level is locked. Leaving just two cubicles on either side of which one would have ran out of toilet paper or have shoeprints all over. Pee on the floor. And the other toilet would be the squatting kind. Take your pick.

Ok, back about the inspection. So the inspector is yim jim meticulous.

I stayed back with my department till 1030pm working on our guns. yes, unlike the rest of the guys who blog about their "gun" or "lethal weapon", we handle the real thing. And it's not those pussified revolvers or pistols...And it's not easy maintaining them after going through bad weather and sea spray.

So we continued the next night till about 10pm. I couldn't stay for the actual inspection but I heard we'd done well. We'd better. After the guys left their sweat and blood together with the polish and lubricant.

And this kinda reminded me that I have not met V since zoo visit.

My Saturday resolution: Meet V.

Some people say I lack ambition. I like to think I'm just different.

No comments: