Sunday, September 11, 2005

Expectations - revisited

Looking out the door
I see the rain
fall upon the funeral mourners

Parading in a wake
of sad relations
as their shoes fill up with water

Maybe I'm too young
to keep good love from going wrong

But tonight
you're on my mind
so you never know

Broken down
and hungry
for your love with no way to feed it

Where are you tonight,
child you know how much I need it

Too young to hold on
and too old to just break free and run

Sometimes a man gets carried away
when he feels like he should be having his fun
Much too blind to see the damage he's done
Sometimes a man must awake to find that really
he has no one

So I'll wait for you and I'll burn
Will I ever see your sweet return
Oh
will
I
ever
learn

Oh lover, you should've come over
'Cause it's not too late

Lonely is the room
the bed is made
the open window lets the rain in
But hiding in the corner
is the only one
who dreams he had you with him
My body turns and yearns
for a sleep that will never come

It's never over,
my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder
It's never over,
all my riches for her smiles when I slept so soft against her
It's never over,
all my blood for the sweetness of her laughter
It's never over,
she's a tear that hangs inside my soul

forever

Well maybe I'm just too young
To keep good love from going wrong

Oh... lover, you should've come over
'Cause it's not too late

Well I feel too young to hold on
And I'm much too old to break free and run
Too deaf, dumb, and blind to see the damage I've done

Sweet lover, you should've come over
Our love would have waited for you

Lover, you should've come over
'Cause it's not too late

It's almost 3am and the grandfather clock is still working. I have got my foot wrapped in occlusive bandage to keep my ankle in place while allowing the ointment to work its magic overnight. Like the protagonist in the song, my body yearns for a sleep that doesn't want to come. I remember another song, So Julie, by Lo from his album Days Without Dawn where he sings that every night he rush to sleep.

Lover, you should've come over was the first song I had wanted to learn when I bought Yugin's guitar back in 2001. This song could come in handy I thought to myself. One day, who knows, I might be able to use it.

It's the stuff of urban legends that Jeff Buckley meant the song for Rebecca Moore. So whose funeral march was it? Their broken down relationship? It was supposed that when Rebecca first heard of this song, she never listened till the refrain "It's never over...." and was already shattered before that. Other top legendary break up songs include Blur's No Distance Left To Run which was Damon's song for Justine when they broke up. Jason Pierce of Spiritualised wrote Broken Heart for ex-girlfriend Kate Radley who left him for Richard Ashcroft of The Verve and they got married later. Richard on the other hand wrote The Drugs Don't Work for his late father and A Song For The Lovers for Kate Radley having been inspired while he heard Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart in a hotel room. Love Will Tear Us Apart is of course in return inspired or derived from Ian Curtis' crumbling relationship with his wife and as well as a cynical response to another song which goes by the name Love Will Keep Us Together by Captain and Tennille. Love Will Tear Us Apart is also written on Ian Curtis' tombstone. It's very poignant....

ian curtis
Photo from Michael

The year 1997 can be remembered as a vintage year for Britpop. Ok Computer by Radiohead, Ladies and Gentlemen, We are Floating In Space by Spiritualised and Urban Hymns by The Verve, Homogenic by Bjork....wowwee

I could figure out the first few chords of Lover.. but by the end of that year, I had given up and just enjoyed the strumming sounds and pretence of rock stardom.

Expectations? Sometimes we need to know certain things are expected of us and not just to expect them from others. I suppose one of the most important things to avoid disappointment is to ask and communicate.

No comments: