Saturday, November 03, 2007

Sartorialist's take on Asia

Recognise any of these men?



Mr. Christian Louboutin (top) - source: The Sartorialist
Mr. Jimmy Choo (bottom, older guy on left)

Besides having women stepping over their name everyday around the world, the other common thing they share is the lack of hair on their heads.

The Sartorialist, aka Schott Schuman, was in this part of the world recently. Beijing and Hong Kong mainly.

This was what he had to say of the sartorial state:

Sorry not many (any) men's photos on this trip, the men's style, in general, really lags behind the women's. That will be my big challenge next time.


Being male, in this part of the world, I have to agree. Dress too spiffily and people wonder if you're gay. V-necks = gay by the way, don't ask me, it just is. But guys here are ok with wearing pink because they see many other guys wearing pink. Many will spend hours styling their hair like the Taiwan boyband Farenheit. Guys here will buy stuff from New Urban Male and not think it's gay. Because they compensate with their dragon-boat paddles. Duh. Guys here are spending alot more money on dressing and "beauty" products but in a blind sense.

I think part of the reason why is because girls get to read girlie magazines like HER WORLD, ELLE, etc. Guys can't even read the local edition of Men's Health without raising a few eyebrows. Let's not even move into other magazines like GQ and Detail. Men here must read FHM, MAXIM and sports related mags. 8-days allowed. I'm being general. If you're a guy and you read mags with a section on "fashion" besides FHM and MAXIM, good for you. FHM and MAXIM do include sections on what to buy but the exposure is just unlike what girls here have got in their reads.

I'm equally sloppy when it comes to dressing. No way will I ever find myself in The Sartorialist if he ever decides on a South East Asian tour. But I don't wear pink. Because I think pink looks ugly on me.

No comments: