Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Fun Uncle

I am becoming the "fun uncle" to Lulu.

Yes, I do wipe her pee and poop when I'm home and nobody's about. Otherwise, it's usually mum who does that. Lulu's beginning to perfect the "puppy dog" eyes. She'll soon add the piteous whine. It happens twice a day at least. When she's about to be fed. She'd go into a tizzy and start jumping around. She'd be told to "SIT!" and is beginning to understand what is expected of her when she hears the "SIT" word said sternly. But only for about 8 seconds.

Anyway, ya. I'm the "fun" uncle. I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about. The "fun" uncle is the particular uncle who will indulge you. You probably first tasted beer (or stout) from his mug. He's the uncle who will ask you to keep the change after tasking you to buy his cigarettes.

That "fun" uncle.

It's great to have labels. Sometimes. It adds a certain amount of credibility. Stereotype is good because you can then go ahead and indulge in that role with a clear list of "stereotypical" behaviour. Your actions are explained.

Lulu's reactions gave me my label as a "fun" uncle. Sweet. I feel so needed suddenly. I can provide fun!

No comments: