Sunday, October 07, 2007

Grow old with you

Was on my way home from driving lesson yesterday and caught the bus from Toa Payoh. Sat in front of me were a couple in their sixties.

What made me noticed them was the white earphones that they were sharing. I have not seen many older couples listen to music on the bus before. I don't think I have seen any who shared.

Weirdly I found the scene really heart-warming.

One of the earphone had that sponge slip-over but not the other. I imagined that they always shared their music while commuting on public transport. The earphone with the sponge slip-over was for the wife and the one without was for the husband. Perhaps he always sat on the right of her but more likely, they don't really care for the left-right difference.

Maybe they don't really care for the music. Sharing whatever they were listening was enough. The only thing that mattered. They just wanted to be able to do something together to brighten up an otherwise dull, mundane commute.

My smile really broke through when the man started tapping the rhythm of the song they were listening to while talking to his wife. He was almost shouting, trying to get above the roar of the bus engine and at the same time unaware how loud his voice had gotten because he had one earphone on.

I wondered about my future.

4 comments:

vulnerable toes said...

:( i'm worried too. we share? LOL!

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

hahaha.....come back we share money to buy property lah. hopefully by then the property market not so hawt....or global slowdown....

vulnerable toes said...

yeah, fingers crossed. we buy 2. one to live in, one to rent out. steady?! hehe... we can share the audio system in the house then... u use ur own earphones, i use my own headphones. ;)

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

sure....when you're back.