Sunday, December 10, 2006

Knaresborough - revisited*

*haha, one day when I post pictures of Castle Howard, I will use the title Brideshead Revisited because the Granada TV series adaptation of Evelyn Waugh classic was shot on location at Castle Howard. And for anyone who laughed at the joke in Lost In Translation, the bit where Scarlett Johansson rolled her eyes when the American celebrity said she was "under Evelyn Waugh", well, good for you!

My fascination with English towns started when I joined one of those Sunday walks in Yorkshire. One of my favourites would be Knaresborough.

I blogged about Knaresborough earlier in the year because I chanced upon the toffee box that I had gotten from a shop in the town.

Gonna put up more photos of Knaresborough.

This is another shot of the famous viaduct which is about 30 metres above the river and 100 metres across.

At the bottom right of the picture where there are a number of blue canoes is the location of the teahouse where I fell in love with Earl Grey tea. There is a close up here.

See the teahouse? It's the flatroof glass house with the yellow band. On the right is the boat shed and written on it were the rental prices for the boats. It says on it:

Hire Boats
One Hour
Adults £ 2.50
Child £1.50
OAP £1.50

I remember at that time I was asking how weird it was to have the prices face outwards at the river. Who can read! OAP = old age pensioners by the way. Or Senior Citizen Prices in the local lingo.

The photo above, ladies and gentlemen, is Ye Oldest Chymist Shoppe in England. Established in 1720 when King George I was around alive and kicking. You won't find any panadol or cough syrup in here. Instead there are sweets, chocolates, toffee (!! of course!!) and a whole lot more for the glucose/sucrose junkies.

See the two windows above....gosh....I just remembered tasting the best cookies in the whole world. It was right here in the Lavender Tea Rooms, located above the Chymist Shoppe. The tea was Earl Grey, of course, but it was infused with the scent of lavender. English lavender perhaps..or French. Not too sure. The cookies had a tinge of lavender fragrance when you put them near your nose. But when you pop it in your mouth, the lavender fragrance races down your gullet and back up again to your nasal tract. No, it doesn't taste like eating Glade Lavender air fresheners. It's altogether wonderful! It felt like I was in one of those lands depicted in Enid Blyton's Magic Faraway Tree and Enchanted Wood series. No Moonface and whathisname though.


damn, I hate dwelling on the past but they just won't let go of me!

No comments: