Sunday, December 10, 2006

Café del Mar

Tucked away on the western Sunset strip of San Antonio, Ibiza lies Café del Mar. It's a nondescript building by itself but since 1980, it's drawn millions of clubbers around the world to take a little (or bigger) jaunt to the cafe and the tiny beachfront and rock outcrop. Next to the building was Café Mambo and Savannah.

You can see the building behind and right at the bottom is the Café del Mar. Jose Padilla no longer spins there. I wonder if Bruno is. But the compilation of ambient tracks continue to sell like hot cakes. The cafe is ambient music personified.


I remember the track that accompanied my first Ibizan sunset. It was Badmarsh and Shri's Appa. The track is from their album Signs from the Outcaste label. At that time I was really into Nitin Sawhney and gang. Appa features Shri's father on the sitar. Magic. Pure Magic. It would have been even better if not for the irritating parachute (with advertising printed on the chute) flying around and marring the otherwise perfect sunset.

I saw on the papers about the Café del Mar that is coming up at Sentosa. I don't see how I can grow to like it. It's occupying the site of Sunset Bay, which I never went. I have never been to KM8 and have no interest to. The only place I club at is Zouk because they cater to people who love music. The occasional BBBC. I don't like "it" places where models, celebrities, starlets and famous bloggers go to to see and be seen. Fun becomes secondary.

The Café del Mar at San Antonio became Café del Mar because the people who went there made it so. How can you transplant that?

This was me, absolutely smashed and knackered after Danny Teneglia's 4th of July set at Pacha in 2002. No Al-Qaeda jitteries there. The lamp to my left is famous ok. haha....

It's tiring to club while on a holiday if you ask me. I was at the We Love Sundays party @Space located in Playa d'en Bossa. on 30 June day time. It was Jonathan Ulysses playing in the Terrace (exterior of Space) and Erick Morillo took over at some point of time. Funky house. The Terrace has since been closed up. So you can no longer scream at the aeroplanes flying overhead the canopy. The same night Deep Dish was playing in the Discoteca (interior of Space).

I cannot imagine how a group of loutish British (typically) youths on holiday will go on a 5 day bender in Singapore and taking in the clubbing experience provided for by Zouk, MOS, Attica and the new posse of clubs at The Cannery while spending time chillin' at the Café de Mar, Balcony and other Indochine joints.

Haha...maybe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No kidding. You actually were in THE Cafe Del Mar ? So what kind of music do they spin there ?

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

ya, spent a week on ibiza and took the chance to enjoy the sunset from cafe del mar while drinking gin tonic and corona.

they spin what the music stores will file under "ambient" and "down tempo". Moving to house tracks when it gets dark. after the sun sets, there'll be fire dancers twirling fireballs and spitting fire. cheap thrill for the tourists.