Monday, December 04, 2006

More on Standard Chartered Singapore Marathon 2006

The weather was super for distance running I thought. At least in Singapore. Seldom is it so cool and breezy. The sky held up really well.

I saw a blind man who was running with his running partner. They were tied together with a string. It's like some commercial. And it was inspiring.

I saw this woman who was dragging behind her a car tire with styrofoam boxes, empty plastic bottles and cans tied to it. She was running for her cause. Runners who ran past her clapped to give render morale support. I clapped as well.

I saw a one guy on a stretcher and had to have his breathing assisted. I hope he is alright. I saw many who had cramps along the way. On my way back I saw many who were limping and their legs white from the deep heat rub. I saw the 42k runners who continued onwards down Nicoll Highway for the marathon and wanted so badly to be able to complete one next year.

In a year fraught with goals I've procratinated on, achievements that came with minimal to less than 100% committment and effort this half marathon was essential for feeling better about myself. I want to know that although I am a 27 year old young hypertension patient with a blood pressure reading of 150/100 six months ago, I can complete a half-marathon. And next year, I will complete the full marathon as a healthy 28 year old.

I saw many people with reasons tagged behind them. Some said things like:

So that I can eat cookies and cream

Others had

So that I can beat the World Record - Road Runner *Beep Beep*

So that I can eat snickers

It's an excuse to buy new shoes

For my wife - wedding on 9 Dec!!!

Because 13xxx made me do it

I want to run the extra mile for Dad!

I run for my mum who wishes that she can walk

To stay healthy for my family

Want to stay fit and happy. Enjoy the run!

Enjoy the run!

If you can read this you are too close

Challenge myself

Because my husband thinks I can

KICK ME if you see me slowing down or stopping



The "runspiration" supporters played a very large part. While I don't think I'll be able to finish the run so easily if I had friends tagging along, I would say that the supporters who lined the streets on certain parts of the route were really fantastic. As were the volunteers who helped with the ushering, pouring of drinks, distributing of fruits and trying their best to collect and return the bags left at the baggage deposit. It was a terrible 45mins wait to collect my bag after the run. It was worse than the run. Because standing in the queue as the lactic acid builds up with no fluid to consume is terrible.

All in, the marathon was superbly well-organised. Except maybe for the baggage collection. Having drinks provided as the runners queue up for their bags can seriously alleviate the frustration felt by many in the queue. Interestingly, in my queue, the guy in front and behind me were from Victoria School. One was from class of 2002 and another was from 2000. I felt my age coming from class of 1995. But damn, I finished ahead of them! Yeah.....

2 comments:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Scary! Marathons, half-marathons, etc!

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

my timing was really lousy. hope to better it by the Army Half-marathon/Sheares Bridge Run next year and complete what would be my first marathon.

=)