Saturday, December 16, 2006

Yesterday

Was sitting on the foldable seat on the OS deck yesterday with 30 knots of relative wind and seaspray pounding on my face.

The warmth from the sun was streaming down but the heat was quickly dissipated by the wind. In the distant west and north, dark ominous clouds were threatening rain.

The sea was calm. Not mirror-like. The lack of swells meant that the rolls only heaved the vessel a little.

The glint from the bell and polished surfaces, perhaps a stray light reflecting off the water forced my eyes to squint. "Should have brought along my sunglasses." I thought to myself.

As the vessel veered towards the north then to the west after the wheel order was ordered, the on-rushing rain pelted my face as if it were a million slivers of ice needles. The relative wind now stronger, I felt the ring in my ears getting louder as if it was a natural filter to drown out the cacophony of sounds from the engines, conning orders and whirring sound from the exhaust.

It was then I felt like listening to Radiohead's Black Star.

I get home from work and you're still standing in your dressing
gown
Well what am I to do?
I know all the things around your head and what they do to
you.
What are we coming to?
What are we gonna do?
Blame it on the black star
Blame it on the falling sky
Blame it on the satellite that beams me home.

The troubled words of a troubled mind
I try to understand what is eating you.
I try to stay awake but its 58hrs since that I last slept with
you.
What are we coming to?
I just don't know anymore.

I get on the train and I just stand about now that I don't think
of you.
I keep falling over I keep passing out
When I see a face like you.
What am I coming to?
I'm gonna melt down.

No comments: