Saturday, June 10, 2006

Ah Leow's Training Centre

I attended Ah Leow's lessons.

I don't think everyone knows him. Well, but amongst some schools, he's rather famous. I must admit that he does have a rather wicked sense of humour, terrible English and weird looks. He's got a knack for explaining tought concepts, be it for Chemistry, Physics, Elementary Maths or Advanced Maths, all the above subjects I received tuition from him.

I attened Ah Leow's lessons. Twice.

I was introduced to him by ys (who's in "where the bloody hell are you? Sydney) when I was in Sec 3 or 4. I cannot remember. I am rather shocked. Was it really that long ago? In any case, I remember paying upfront for the lessons on my first visit.

I'm not an easy student. I have to admit. Not that I am stupid but because I'm jiao gay (cantankerous) or rather, when it comes to rudeness, I can be really insolent at times. But really, how I remembered my two visits to Ah Leow's wasn't about me being rude.

Partly forming the reason why I went to Ah Leow was because ys said there were a couple of chio babes in the centre. Now for a non-church going adolescent (ok, church is a place of worship, but it's alright to check girls out too right?), this was heaven sent. Hur hur.

There were these two girls from a nearby secondary school (Bendemeer actually) that ys said was worth checking out. That was over and on top of the excellent help he was getting from Ah Leow in maths and science. Being given a chance to improve on my grades, I grabbed it with both hands. Right. So the girls played a part too.

But I couldn't stand how Ah Leow's adamantly disturbed the girls there. And guys too. I vaguely remembered that he insisted on calling me Johnson although I repeatedly said it wasn't my name. And being the "young hot blooded" teen, I kind of got expelled from his class after a rather colourful exchange of words. That happened midway through the 2nd visit.

Ah Leow will be spending the next two years of his life imprisoned.

He was charged with the molestation of two of his students who were 14 and 15 years old then.

I understand from the report that many of his former students, some of whom are Ph.D holders, teachers, dentists appealed on his behalf. Well, I am not the best judge of character. Especially when I've only been in contact with him for just over 6 hours or so.

7 comments:

vulnerable toes said...

fuck!! serious? hmmm.... it's been years, so maybe there is a slight chance that ple change?
but it was fun while it lasted. hehe... bendemeer gers included. keke.. tho i really can't rem the details of what happened to u - it was that long ago.

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

can't remember the details because they are too sordid to be shared or too many to remember properly? hiaks hiaks

Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe this has happened to Ah Leow.

I have attended his classes before back in 88 through 91. Brilliant man with a very different perspective on science and mathematics.

He inspired me greatly. I recall visiting him in 2000 when I returned to Singapore.

Vincent (Ph.D. Mech. Eng.)

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

it is hard to believe.

so i suppose you are one of his Ph.D students. If I'm not wrong you are somewhere about in US?


Happy Chinese New Year anyways!

Anonymous said...

Yes, based in the US. Happy CNY as well!

While most others think I am wasting my time pursuing a Ph.D., Ah Leow was one of the few who believed in me.

I can name maybe 3 teachers in my entire academic career that really has a major impact on me. Ah Leow's one of them.

And I wasn't one of those A1 students back then either. FYI NUS rejected my application for engineering in '95. Apparently, I wasn't good enough. Bleh.

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

wow! good for you! no better way to prove others wrong.

Anonymous said...

I was his student in 1989 to 1992. I was very impressed by him the way he taught me the mathematics and Science. He is the great teacher and I like his dirty jokes. I remembered he had a monkey poster that pasted along the walkway to his big classroom.