Thursday, February 02, 2006

New Arrivals at MNG!

Since the last time I went shopping with V and moan about it eletronically, I haven't been asked to go out with her. Besides the odd movie and night outings with her, she's kept me out of that part of her life.

So earlier in the evening, after checking out Early Learning Centre for a gift for my friend's daughter, we had dinner at Nooch (Nooch has a branch in New York in case you haven't heard. Earned rave reviews. Just wondering if it is still around...).

Walking pass MNG at Ngee Ann, V wanted to take a look at some stuff inside so I agreed. I think at that time, both of us was kinda iffy and didn't want to spoil the day for either. But we went in and after that, I suggested the MNG at Wisma. Then to the other levels which Club21 was still having sale. I think without the maddening rush of crowds that accompanied X'mas and New Year and Chinese New Year, plus the mildly calming effect of a long stretch of holiday made the short shopping stint rather enjoyable. Shoppers were kinder, no "why is this guy blocking my way" stare, some eye candy (when V is not looking) all eased me back to the weeks before the end of year shopper crowd descended on the orchard shopping belt.

Sometime ago, I remember reading or hearing from someone how best to pronounce local brands like bYSI and GG<5. Be Your Self Idiot! or Basically You Sound Idiotic. or Bitch! You Stole It! Beast, Yobs and Stupid Idiots. Bring Your Shit Inside.

The younger Mr Tan originally named his enterprise SI but soon felt that it sounded too much like rivals U2 and G2000 and decided to change it to its present name. 'bYSI has no meaning apart from giving a gentle sales message as it sounds like 'buy SI',' said Mr Tan.


There! It has no meaning. Except to subliminally entice working ladies in older than 21 to buy from them. So it's more like Bring YourSelf Inside!

What about GG<5? I cannot even imagine grandmothers wearing clothes from Tollyjoy or Pigeon or whatever toddler clothes brands there are. No great-grandmother has ever stepped into Club21 kids at Paragon, trying and buying a pile of clothes, for herself. It'd be rather daft.





Unless it's some good ole american great-great-grand daddy wearing all american oshkosh b'gosh overalls.

No comments: