Thursday, February 23, 2006

Something weird comes this way

I was talking to Alen along the expressway as he was driving home to oversee some furniture matters. He'll be moving to Kerrisdale some time soon...

Got a call from some insurance company, one of those minor independent branches that is tied to a major UK insurance company. And that was when the weird coversation started. I was actually talking to Alen about the passing of the various political figures in recent years. Leading to some talk about the way Presidents are chosen, the Presidential system in US, and about China and India, how if Taiwan does not do anything drastic, it will be a sad story amongst the four tiger economies in East Asia....so it was rather interesting. Honest.

The phone rang. Private number. So I have no idea who it was.

Me: Hello?
Caller: Hi, this is XXX calling on behalf of YYY, manager of ZZZZZ Pte Ltd.

Me: Yes?
Caller: Is this Mr Jackson Pang?

Me: Yes?
Caller: Mr Pang, we would like to invite you to.....(at this point I thought it was another insurance pusher)

Me: Erm, hi, sorry, I am busy right now so is it possible to call me back in another hour's time? (yes, I was really interested in the conversation. especially about the emerging tiger economies)
Caller: Oh, Mr Pang, this will be really short. Do you have a minute to spare?

Me: (ok, at this point I was really surprised cause usually the insurance or credit card pushers/telemarketeers will ask for 5 minutes.) Erm...yah, sure. What is it about?
Caller: Mr Pang, on behalf of Mr YYY, I would like to invite you to an interview for the post of a financial planner with ZZZZ. When would you like us to arrange for the interview?

Me: Say again? (this tickled my balls intrigued me.) Interview?
Caller: Yes Mr Pang, for the post of a financial planner with ZZZZ Pte Ltd.

Me: Hmm, may I ask where did your company obtain my......contact details? (I couldn't say CV because I don't really remember writing a CV for any job before)
Caller: Mr Pang, your contact details were actually provided by a headhunter company and you were chosen, along with a few others for this position.

Me: (What the hyell?) Erm...ya, so what is this headhunter company you are talking about?
Caller: Er....sorry but I was only given your contact number and name so I don't know which company it was.

Me: Hmm...ok, I don't remember where you get the details from cause I have never sent any?
Caller: .................*awkward silence*

Me: But could you tell your boss I will be glad to go for the interview if your boss can wait for another 2.5 years?
Caller: .............*awkward silence*.

Me: Erm, actually I don't have any experience or skills to be a financial planner.
Caller: ............*awkward silence*.

Me: ............*evil silence*
Caller: Mr Pang, you do not want to come for the interview?

Me: I can't.
Caller: ............*confused silence*.

Me: I am bonded.
Caller: Oh, Mr Pang, you are bonded?

Me: Yes, that's why I am interested to know where you get the contact details from.
Caller: You are bonded to the government?

Me: SAF
Caller: Oh.

Me: But I'll be interested to be interviewed for the job in 2.5 years time
Caller: Oh.

Me: You can ask your boss if he will be interested in me 2.5 years from now.
Caller: Oh.

Me: Ok. Bye. (tinge of sadness)
Caller: Hmm, ok, I'll inform XXX. Thank you. Bye.


So Alen and I continued talking about Taiwan and how it was initially the top tiger economy when the phrase was coined and how Korea has taken over the spot with conglomerates like Hyundai, Samsung, LG, Daewoo.....

No comments: