Sunday, February 05, 2006

How to make me a happy boy

At this very moment....

I can be made happy with money.

Spare cash to buy a Sendstation portable dock for my iPod so that I can get the best available sound out of iPod instead of the earphone outlet. Those who own an iPod, if you don't already know, will not get the best sound out if it's just through earphone plugged into the earphone jack. If you have a dock, you will have a line out. That is where the best sound will come out from.

But what triggered me to want to get this Sendstation thingamajig?

Because I want to get new earphones.

The previous Sony MDR-EX71 less than a year ago. And they lasted less than a year too! Argh!

So now I am using Sennheiser PX200 at home but even that is a little wonky in that you have to find the right spot for the plug to align and the sound will go on and off as I rotate the plug. Also the cables slightly malfunctioning.

The iPod original earphones suck big time. I have another pair of Sennheiser earphones that came free when I bought my iRiver cd-r player about 5 years or so ago.

And I am tempted to get either the Shure E2c or the Etymotic ER6i.

They cost a bomb but they sound so delicious. I was contemplating the Bang and Olufsen A8 earphones that I see some people use (it's rather obvious, maybe it's meant to be) but it's so yuppified and I think more of the money goes into the branding. It's like Nike vs Asics. Hmmm....maybe....or Mercedes vs Rolls Royce...and the B&O A8 is the former in both instances.

Weird plus point of the E2C - I will look like I'm hearing-impaired because the cable goes over the ear.
Weird plus point of the ER6i - Etymotic pioneered in-canal earphones because they are in the business of ear research too.

Decisions decisions.....

No comments: