Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Brokeback Moments In Life

I have not watched Brokeback Mountain yet. I sure will be. V is watching with her new gf later today (wednesday) while I go velvet for tony tay and blink. I'm not queer (see below - not yours, this blog entry). A few of my friends have been telling me that it is beyond what normal guys can take when it comes to the physical portions. I don't know. I squirmed when I watch Irrversible. But was alright with the rather explicit man-on-man scenes in Stanley Kwan's Lan Yu. I have a feeling that Brokeback Mountain is just like Lan Yu, a romantic story at it's most basic, just that the couple is made up of two men. Only difference is that it is a Hollywood production. But still, I will watch it.

Anyhow, I think some quotes from the movie might be in frequent use over the next few weeks if not months. Below are the two "classics".

I don't know how to quit _____________ (fill in the blank with your vice).

This is for use when you want to inform people that you are not serious about quitting some vice that you have. For guys it might be gambling, having sex, having one night stands, drinking, watching EPL, playing world of warcraft, you know, the manly stuff. It'll be a faux pas to fill the blank with "you" which was the original quote. Cause only homosexual cowboys say that. It is best that heterosexual males replace the blank with manly activities. Imagining saying, "I don't know how to quit crocheting." Wrong usage.

When you are vehemently in denial of a social taboo, just drop this quote to up your hip and cool factor.

I'm not ___________(fill in the blank with a social taboo, e.g. queer)

Then someone else must quickly add:

I'm not either.

This requires some partnership and practise. Whenever somebody says, "I'm not ______." it must be quickly joined by a "I'm not either." Otherwise it will not be complete.

Notice that the original movie quote was Ennis saying, "I'm not queer." and Jack replying "I'm not either." I don't know if Jacks was actually admitting to Ennis that he is gay. Cause Jack's reply was, "I'm not either." Jack is not queer, and he is not something else too. He might be unsure or something. If Jack was determined in trying to tell Ennis that he wasn't gay, he should have said something like, "Me neither." But he didn't. Hence he is.

No comments: