Sunday, February 05, 2006

Low Hey!

Saturday, being the 7th day of the new lunar year, was also the birthday or every man (and woman). It's ren ri, which directly translate as human day.

It's a Singaporean tradition of sorts to eat this tossed salad with slices of salmon. The salad consists of carrots and cucumber (I think) and the dressing is plum juice, oil (undetermined source) with lots of crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, pepper and powdered cinnammon.

It's supposedly invented in Singapore (by a Hongkong chef-according to my on-Dean's list-sis). All I know is that it's usually messy during the tossing and the slices of salmon disappears very quickly.

Before that was a simple scaled down version of the reunion dinner steamboat. I opened a bottle of Penfolds Coonawarra Shiraz Bin 128 (2001). Smells so good...the fragrance of chinese plums wafted straight away into my nose when I pulled the cork out. The colour reminded me of dark berries. Thinned out at the edges. Felt heavy on my tongue. But the taste left much to be desired. Sharp and had too much tannin for my liking....right....sure...

Truth be told, even after watching Sideways, if you're an amateur before, you'll still be an amateur after. Pinot Noir is not the greatest grape to be fermented and Merlot, if it was drinkable before, it will still be drinkable after. Stop kidding yourself. You're in it for the alcohol.

No comments: