Thursday, September 07, 2006

Prancing about town

Had absolutely nothing better to do so decided to head down town to eat dinner and have myself a walkabout.


After dinner, I headed towards Wheelock as I wanted to take a looksee around Borders. Ok, secretly I was trying to look for stuff by Jim O'rourke, Duncan Sheik and M.Ward. No such luck. Only consolation was this old album by M.Ward called Transfiguration of Vincent. Bought it anyway...
(image from Amazon)

They have this sculpture by Salvador Dali newly placed right outside the entrance to Wheelock facing the junction of Orchard and Paterson Road. It's called Alice In Wonderland. It's very easy to recognise cause I saw it in Italy when Yugin and I took a detour and left the main group to see this Dali sculpture exhibition. I think it was in Rome. Can't really remember. It was 6 years ago. Yugin's getting married this Saturday. It's in Brighton. I had plans to go but...sometimes I take too much stuff into consideration, wind up pleasing no one. Including myself.

Anyway, back to Alice In Wonderland.

You see those crutches? The Y-shaped stick? You know what they mean? To Dali, everything that he creates gotta have meaning. Duh. Anyway, those are crutches. This is what he says of them:
"Such being the case, I decided to join forces with the group of invalids whose snobbism propped up a decadent aristocracy which still stuck to its traditional attitude. But I had the original idea of not coming with empty hands, like all the rest. I arrived, in fact, with my arms loaded with crutches! One thing I realized immediately. It would take quantities and quantities of crutches to give a semblance of solidity to all that. And I inaugurated the 'pathetic crutch', the prop of the first crime of my childhood, as the all-powerful and exclusive post-war symbol - crutches to support the monstrous development of certain atmospheric-cephalic skulls, crutches immobilize the ecstasy of certain attitudes of rare elegance, crutches to make architectural and durable the fugitive pose of a choreograpic leap, to pin the ephemeral butterfly of the dancer with pins that would keep her poised for eternity. Crutches, crutches, crutches, crutches."

Ok.....go figure (pun?).

There is another Dali sculpture in Singapore that is on permanent display. Wow! 1 Dali sculpture for every 2 million Singaporeans. We must have the highest per capita publicly displayed Dali sculpture in between the tropics. The other Dali sculpture is placed away from the mall rats. Instead, it is placed in the middle of another pack of rats. Those climbing the corporate ladder. Which yours truly, will one day, perhaps, join in. The sculpture, found at the atrium of UOB Plaza, is Homage To Newton. The one with the open stomach holding onto his ball-like apple. Yup, that's by Dali. It's not the only one in the world...I got the picture below from this American girl who visited Singapore around this time 2 years ago. Kristine, please don't sue.

Anyway, all I want for Christmas is to have original prints from David Roberts and Quentin Blake. I think I would like them for my home when I have one.

This above is from Mick Jackson's new book.
Everybody loves Quentin Blake. Right?

But fuck me, the two of them don't seem to have original prints for sale.
Ok, don't take me literally. I don't wish to be fucked by you just because I can't get them prints. Dipstick.

3 comments:

Goat Almighty said...

hahaha, you really have a way with expressing yourself, man.

Anonymous said...

fwah fcuks... i don't even know these sculptures exists in singapore!!!! been away toooo long lah...bopians...
-annonymous, since too paiseh to admit...

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

mai sian tao. homage to newton been there since forever lor....