Sunday, March 26, 2006

Reina Sofia (or Call Flensted a "uromager")

I haven't got much mood to blog coherently these days. Alot of things racing through my mind and so like a normal Piscean, I move 1 step ahead for every 2 steps that I take.

Neither do I feel like doing something really funny. Not reflective. So useless.

So I'll just post some nice photos that I took on holiday in Spain about a year ago.

reina sofia

This is the interior garden within Madrid's Reina Sofia Museum.

reina sofia ext

This is the exterior of the museum. It's about 5 minutes away from the 11 March 2004 Madrid Train Station bombing.

I was there in Spring of 2001 as well. And there was something in the museum souvenir shop that I really wanted to get even then. No, that wasn't the reason why I return to visit in 2005.

It was a Flensted mobile.
Christian Flensted is a "uromager" which is Danish for "maker of things mischievious and always on the move". So either the Danes (haha, dawgs) are lousy at translating or they have special words for special people like Christian Flensted.

So when I went back to Reina Sofia, I was determined to get my hands on one of those mobiles. Yes, they are actually sold in Singapore. A "lifestyle" shop in Singapore used to carry it I think. It's a shop in Millenia Walk. I think it might have closed down since or stopped carrying them. The Flensted site indicates that Lyves and Company in Suntec City carries them now. Am I wrong to say that this other "lifestyle" shop has closed down as well? Gosh?! Is this the Flensted curse?

I nicked this from Mr Flensted's site. Hope he doesn't mind. The name of this mobile is Life Is Hanging By A Thread. Supposedly signifying that there are more things between heaven and earth than you or I dream of. It's about 4 feet across and 2 feet from top to bottom. The name of this mobile is really relevant to me right now. Hey, in these troubled times, you can never be sure when you're going to go right?

Anyhow, this mobile, along with my precious (Gollum's quivering accent here) series of 6 Tom Purvis posters for the London and North Eastern Railway will feature prominently in my home. When I have one.

No comments: