Wednesday, March 01, 2006

A connection! At last!

I was reading past copies of Time magazine and reread this article about Syriana and the story of how Stephen Gaghan together with ex-CIA officer, Robert Baer (who wrote the book See No Evil on which the movie was loosely based on) went about hobnobbing with sheiks, political figures and businessmen.

Here, Stephen asked Robert, if he had ever killed anybody. I lifted text directly from the article:

"I've made decisions that resulted in people's deaths, maybe hundreds of people's deaths, but I never lost a night's sleep. Never. Because I had 500 pages of U.S. law to hide behind." Gaghan's initial thought was that he had been fed a line--and a bad one. Gradually, though, he realized Baer's candor with a flourish was not affectation but a kind of verbal rosary. Baer had done some bad things, and he needed to reassure himself and others that he had done them for a good cause. "When I started this whole process, I ran across this Victor Hugo quote. 'Exile is not a material thing, it is a spiritual thing,'" says Gaghan. "And what ever happened to Bob inside the CIA, he felt to me like an exile."

That was exactly how Avner felt when he was in Brooklyn, talking to Ephraim.

No comments: